Thread: Authentication Problems: RNX-N180UBE + WNDR4000

Beans

Authentication Problems: RNX-N180UBE + WNDR4000

Hi. First I want to say I am completely new to ubuntu/linux, and I apologize if this has already been solved. I looked here and here, but I don't think that addresses my problem...

I am running Ubuntu 12.04, fresh install (w/updates via a wired connection). It recognizes the wifi adapter, which also recognizes my SSID. The problem is that it keeps asking me for my network password.

I have put in the password repeatedly, even showing the password to make sure I am not typing it incorrectly, but every time the "Authentication required by wireless network" still pops up and the adapter cannot connect to my router.

I am wondering if I have something set wrong on my router that is preventing authentication. The security is WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES], if that matters at all.

If anybody has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Authentication Problems: RNX-N180UBE + WNDR4000

I think you are trying to access a WPA2 network. You would need to enter
    the passphrase or password given to you by the owner of the network.
    hth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you have other devices which connect to the router? What is the SSID? (Simple lower-case SSIDs work best.)

The Newegg reviews of your wireless adapter are great, especially among Linux users. The Router, not so much -- and it's an expensive router.

Beans

I apologize for missing your replies. I'm not sure how, but I managed to get things working. Even so, TY both for the help.

Sorry to take up space and not offer a better explanation for "fixing" whatever the problem was. I wish I could say more, in case somebody else has the same problem, but hopefully it was just something I was doing wrong.

In any case, thanks again.

(I'm unfamiliar with this forum, so if there is a way to mark this solved or archive it so it is out of the way, please do.)