Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running low on disk space. How do I increase memory?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Running low on disk space. How do I increase memory?

Until recently, I did not realize that that root and home folders were located in different partitions. When I installed Ubuntu, it asked me to resize the partition it was creating. So me, thinking I wanted the most space for my storage, slid the divider to give the partition that was shown on the right, only 6gb. Turns out that that is probably the home folder. Now I'm getting notifications that say I'm running low on space.

How can I fix this? Will I have to reinstall my OS or just resize it? When I tried booting from a live USB, my computer wouldn't boot from it. it only showed the copyright information for grub. and nothing more. I tried the live usb on another pc and it worked perfectly.

I attached a picture of what the Disk Utility program in ubuntu showed me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Running low on disk space. How do I increase memory?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn474 View Post
    Until recently, I did not realize that that root and home folders were located in different partitions. When I installed Ubuntu, it asked me to resize the partition it was creating. So me, thinking I wanted the most space for my storage, slid the divider to give the partition that was shown on the right, only 6gb. Turns out that that is probably the home folder. Now I'm getting notifications that say I'm running low on space.

How can I fix this? Will I have to reinstall my OS or just resize it? When I tried booting from a live USB, my computer wouldn't boot from it. it only showed the copyright information for grub. and nothing more. I tried the live usb on another pc and it worked perfectly.

I attached a picture of what the Disk Utility program in ubuntu showed me.

copy /home/user folder to some other partition. Then you can easily mount the partition on /home by editing /etc/fstab(if I remeber correctly) file. Here is a quick tutorial to edit fstab file.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That screenshot shows that the 5.4GB partition is mounted as /. We cannot tell whether the 25GB partition is mounted at all. In a terminal, type
    Code:
    df -h
    and post the output.

I cannot yet say whether you need to resize the 5.4GB partition. However, as far as I know, you cannot resize the / partition in Ubuntu without using a live CD (or USB).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Totally as a side note. If you decide to shrink your 112 GB NTFS, to make some more space for the other partitions, boot to Windows and defragment your C:\ drive, at least twice. It's also strongly recommended that you back up any irreplaceable data on all partitions prior to any partition modifications. Better to be safe..

HTH,
    Side

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro

A trick to regain some space is to clear the cache used by the package manager.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    And next maintain that after updates. It will help as long as you don't install additional SW.

Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    That screenshot shows that the 5.4GB partition is mounted as /. We cannot tell whether the 25GB partition is mounted at all.
    Also noticed that.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    That screenshot shows that the 5.4GB partition is mounted as /. We cannot tell whether the 25GB partition is mounted at all. In a terminal, type
    Code:
    df -h
    and post the output.

I cannot yet say whether you need to resize the 5.4GB partition. However, as far as I know, you cannot resize the / partition in Ubuntu without using a live CD (or USB).
    Hi! Sorry for the late reply, this is the best time when I can log on.

Here's what I got when I used the df program.

mrtn@mrtn-HP-Mini-110-3000:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda6 5.1G 4.4G 388M 93% /
    udev 488M 4.0K 488M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 198M 852K 198M 1% /run
    none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    none 495M 536K 495M 1% /run/shm
    Now, I think I'm getting that the home folder is partition that is mounted on "/" and the 25bg partition is some other thing. Right?
    Last edited by mrtn474; August 23rd, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn474 View Post
    Now, I think I'm getting that the home folder is partition that is mounted on "/" and the 25bg partition is some other thing. Right?
    Yes, your /home folders are on the 5.4Gb / partition, along with everything else.

I'm not aware of a gui function that will take the contents of /home, put it on a new partition then mount that partition as /home. One option is to scrap your installation and reinstall, selecting /dev/sda5 for the /home mount point.

Also, if you fiddle about with /home when you are logged in to a gui desktop, you can get into difficulties because the desktop has files open in /home. Make sure you have a good backup of home before doing anything else.

However, if the terminal is not too scary for you, then the steps are fairly straight forward, and will save quite a bit of time. However, if you mess up, you might have difficulty logging in to your system, so it is a good idea to have a live CD or usb available in case of need.

I realise that this is the Absolute Beginner Talk forum, so you might find this daunting, in which case I suggest the reinstall option.

These instructions are correct if you don't have an encrypted home. If you do have an encrypted home, then I don't know what impact this has.

# This is a temporary place to mount the new partition, so we can check that it is empty and copy the current /home to it.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/newhome
    # edit /etc/fstab and add a line to mount the new partition
    # we will change this line later.
    Code:
    /dev/sda5  /media/newhome ext4    defaults   0   2
    Code:
    sudo mount /media/newhome
    # Can we see the new 25GB partition mounted as /media/newhome and virtually empty?
    Code:
    df -h
    ls -l /media/newhome
    # If all looks good, then logout of GUI, and use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a terminal session.
    # Login to the terminal.

# We take this approach to copy and rename so that it is easier to recover if things go wrong.
    # Take extra care from here because getting it wrong will mean you can't login or maybe boot.
    # Note that if you forget to rename /home and recreate it, then the rest will work, but you won't be able to reclaim the space used by your old home.
    Code:

sudo cp -rp /home/* /media/newhome
    cd /
    sudo mv home oldhome
    sudo mkdir home
    # edit /etc/fstab and change the line we last added to:
    Code:
    /dev/sda5  /home ext4    defaults   0   2
    # reboot with
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    # If it reboots OK and all looks good, then tidy up
    Code:
    sudo rmdir /media/newhome
    sudo rm -rf /oldhome
    # See what the disk space situation is now
    df -h

Beans

Perhaps I'm missing something by skimming, but I don't see why all the talk about remounting your home folder somewhere else. I'd use gparted to find more details on what inside that 25gb partition and resize your current partition, perhaps taking part of the 25gb part.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jemofthewest View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something by skimming, but I don't see why all the talk about remounting your home folder somewhere else. I'd use gparted to find more details on what inside that 25gb partition and resize your current partition, perhaps taking part of the 25gb part.
    I took the original post to mean that the OP had created 2 partitions, intending them to be / and /home but somehow it just ended up using the small / partition. I could be wrong about that intent, but I don't think it's an unreasonable interpretation.

Your suggestion is fine, if that's what the OP wants. However, you need to boot from removable media to resize / with gparted in Ubuntu don't you? It won't resize a mounted partition, AFAIU. And the OP said
    When I tried booting from a live USB, my computer wouldn't boot from it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast