Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu for Pentium 166 with 32 meg ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ubuntu for old computer

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Please don't recommend DSL, not even for older gear. Development stopped several years ago, so today this project equals one big security hole.
    development just restarted a few weeks ago. though it still uses old kernel.

Besides it is still usefull if old maschine has no serious use (like online banking etc.) and for offline use.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyiron420 View Post
    Sounds like it may be a fun project. I would like to run it as the only OS. I have another hard drive around someplace. Can I watch video's with it? Check email?
    Where do I go to get it and what do i click on? I am dumb as a chunk about downloading stuff. I think my laptop can burn a CD if I can figure out how.
    here at the download link in developers post is the latest RC: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/forums...php?topic=11.0
    Last edited by mastablasta; August 22nd, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chevyiron420 View Post
    Sounds like it may be a fun project. I would like to run it as the only OS. I have another hard drive around someplace. Can I watch video's with it? Check email?
    Where do I go to get it and what do i click on? I am dumb as a chunk about downloading stuff. I think my laptop can burn a CD if I can figure out how.
    Check email-probably.

Video- not going to happen, unless much mistaken. Or if it does, it will be very jerky. Although I'll be impressed if you do get it working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Please don't recommend DSL, not even for older gear. Development stopped several years ago, so today this project equals one big security hole.
    The objective was to inject some life into a dead hardware .

And its not dead yet .

http://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/index.php?topic=11.0
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

It just sounds like a fun thing to do. It wasnt to long ago our broadband was out and I plugged the phone line in the thing and got my email. I think I could have mowed the lawn by the time it got loaded though. I want to see what it will do without having to carry the load of win98 and IE6.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Video- not going to happen, unless much mistaken. Or if it does, it will be very jerky. Although I'll be impressed if you do get it working.
    well i guess it depends on resolution and comrepssion type. i know i ran videos on 486/DX2 80 mhz & win95. afterall i got a whole bunch of them for free (some documentaries) when i bought the sound card. they just gave them to me.
    :-O

edit: i read Curiousity has 200mhz CPU and 256 MB ram.
    Last edited by mastablasta; August 22nd, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    well i guess it depends on resolution and comrepssion type. i know i ran videos on 486/DX2 80 mhz & win95. afterall i got a whole bunch of them for free (some documentaries) when i bought the sound card. they just gave them to me.
    :-O

edit: i read Curiousity has 200mhz CPU and 256 MB ram.
    Hm. Interesting...I wasn't very old at the time, but my dad's win 98 system (quite well specced) looked bad compared to the TV set, and the TV was horrible at the time.

Guess the message is, 'Your Mileage May Vary'.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    development just restarted a few weeks ago. though it still uses old kernel.

Besides it is still usefull if old maschine has no serious use (like online banking etc.) and for offline use.

here at the download link in developers post is the latest RC: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/forums...php?topic=11.0
    This was news to me. DSL getting back on its feet - I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks for posting.

Still this particular computer does not serve any useful purpose today, sorry. A 166 MHz computer is probably built around 1997, 15 years ago.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu for Pentium 166 with 32 meg ram

Well, I found another 32 meg in my junk box so now i'm up to 64 meg. I havent had much luck with DSL yet but she is running Puppy from the cd rom. I'm having trouble getting it to install to the hard drive so far. I'm use it now!!!! Thats right, i'm on line with a Pentium 166. This is fun.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu for Pentium 166 with 32 meg ram

Run Puppy Linux - I am using both WaryPuppy on an old laptop that wae running WinMe and is the only Linux that I got to run.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu for Pentium 166 with 32 meg ram

I have found this link: http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributi...Distributions/ for mini-linux distros, in particular BasicLinux seems suitable for your old pentium.

I had a pentium 133 MHz with 16 MB Ram ( which is dead now) working with Deli Linux: http://linux.downloadatoz.com/deli-linux/, it is desktop oriented linux distro and has a gui web browser named netsurf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12