Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fresh install 12.04.1: how to; should I?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question fresh install 12.04.1: how to; should I?

Friends--

I have a GAZV4 running 10.04 lts. I want to go to 12.04.1, and am considering doing a fresh install. It has been a few years and I have done several upgrades, but boot up is takes a long time: and maybe I should just do a general housecleaning.

1. Is there any reason not to do a clean install?

2. What do I need to make sure I do in the clean install?

3. How do I make sure I have all the special System76 software installed?

Thanks!
    :- Doug.

Beans
    Distro

Question fresh install 12.04.1 ??

Hello Friends--

Have 10.04 lts installed, after having upgraded from lts to lts several times over the years. Because of some issues with the machine (general slowness, and some other things) I want to do a clean install.

1. Any reason not to do a clean install?

2. What tips do you have for making it as painless as possible? I have a lot of special things, like twinview, that I want to make sure work after I reboot....

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: fresh install 12.04.1 ??

You will get that "new computer feeling" when you do a clean install. There is a big difference in look and feel between 10.04 and 12.04. You may want to run 12.04 in LiveCD to try it out first before you make the leap and install it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: fresh install 12.04.1 ??

Do you have /home well backed up or as a separate partition? Since you seem to have some hardware settings also you may want to back up /etc.

I have found with clean installs that sometimes my custom settings are not required anymore & others I need. So I do not just copy back /etc but review the one's I know I need.

You should make a list of installed applications, but houseclean list so you do not install older apps. I was still installing python2.5 until recently, long after it was not needed. Also some like OpenOffice have been replaced with LibreOffice and you do not need both.

My major crash recovery is a new clean install and restore from my backups. This is what I backup.

Oldfred's list of stuff to backup May 2011:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748541

If you have room, install to another 25GB / partition to test. I now have all data in separate data partitions, so all my installs are now just 25GB.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: fresh install 12.04.1: how to; should I?

well,

if I see correctly, this is a bit older piece of hardware... from around 2008, right.

I would remain on 10.04 if I were you, because new versions are not harware friendly as once ubuntu was. You probably won't be able to run unity 3d, but 2d only (which is fine), but there may be some other issues as well.

I suggest: try the liveUSB and just for fun, repartition your disk and have some 10 GiB changed to a new partition. Install 12.04 there and see for yourself how it works, play for a week - no rush to upgrade.

Be careful - you don't want to loose your data. Backup first andsee what you're doing.

Personally, on older computers, i install 10.04, no questions there

Oh, the sys76 driver will do all the work, instructions are on their website. On an older model,you shouldn't even need it.

zz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Zvezdica27 View Post
    I would remain on 10.04 if I were you, because new versions are not harware friendly as once ubuntu was. You probably won't be able to run unity 3d, but 2d only (which is fine), but there may be some other issues as well.
    That's just not true. Hardware support has improved immensely over the last two years. Unity 3D works fine on older hardware. It might be a bit slow, but it certainly runs. 10.04 is only supported for 8 more months, so there is no reason to choose it over 12.04. If Unity is running too slow for your taste, try Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Er, wait till tomorrow to install, it is now (at least for now) still testing and may have bugs... Fresh install: Download the iso: Burn it to a CD/DVD/USB: Boot it in BIOS: Follow instructions!
    12.04.1 is more stable as in an LTS. You should install..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

12.04 LTS. Five years support from April 2012. Run from LiveCD first, as suggested. A clean install will indeed blow out the cobwebs (boot time will be faster). Be warned, though. 12.04 uses the Unity desktop environment; not everyone's cup of tea. Other DEs can, of course, be installed.

I don't know the specs of your machine but from what people seem to be saying it's not supersonic. Why not try something a little lighter? Xubuntu perhaps? It has a more familiar desktop, is fast on older machines and highly configurable.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: fresh install 12.04.1 ??

Easy Limits and oldfred--

That is some sound advice. Thank you each.

While /home is not on a separate partition (had not thought of that), it is backed up regularly, along with /etc.

Love that list of stuff.

My main worry is that I have two screens and use twinview and nvidia with those, and I do not want to re-create the universe on those. Any hints for those?

I know to back up my xorg.conf file, but it looks like it might no longer be a necessary file.

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: fresh install 12.04.1: how to; should I?

Zvezdica27, Carborundum, smartboyhw, and Bucky Ball--

Thank you each for helping me! This is the kind of help I was looking for.

I will look into Xubuntu. Anything else light I should check out? Lubuntu? Would like to stay with something in the mainstream. I use these computers for business.

Looks like this computer goes back to at least August 2007--5 years old.

I will try the live CD here and on a couple of other machines I have in the office before I do any installing.

I think I need System76 software for sound support.

Thanks, folks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast