Thread: Kernel Update

Beans

Kernel Update

I'm wondering why the Update Manager on my laptop does not list Kernel updates since a long time, It just lists updates for all other SW.

Last time it offered Kernel update was in February for the Kernel version 2.6.32-39

Since then, several new updates came out and were all detected and installed by the Update Manager of my desktop, but nothing on the laptop.

I'm wondering why that happens and how to make the Update Manager detecting kernel updates again.

I'm on 10.04 64b

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Kernel Update

Hi

Do you have the kernel meta-package installed ? The kernels rely on having the kernel meta-package installed to know when there is a kernel update.

Depending on what kernel and version of Ubuntu you have installed, you'll be looking for one of these...

Code:
    linux-image-extra-virtual - Transitional package.
    linux-image - Linux kernel image
    linux-image-generic - Generic Linux kernel image
    linux-image-generic-pae - Transitional package
    linux-image-lowlatency - lowlatency Linux kernel image
    linux-image-lowlatency-pae - lowlatency Linux kernel image
    linux-image-server - Transitional package.
    linux-image-virtual - This package will always depend on the latest minimal generic kernel image.
    linux-virtual - Minimal Generic Linux kernel and headers
    The ones highlighted in bold are the usual ones most people need. Depending on what you have installed, it is usually one or the other.

You can see what is installed using..

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep linux-image
    That is a small L after dpkg.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you suspect that there is a kernel update, then run

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    but since you are running 10.04, which is a long-time-support version of Ubuntu, I think you are already using the most up-to-date version available.

LTS is great for developers. Packages remain mostly unchanged, other than bug-fixes and security-fixes. New features are not needed.

IF your system is running fine, there is no real need to upgrade, unless you require a new feature made available in a newer kernel.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/admin/

I see in the above link that kernel 3.0.0-x is the highest version number available for lucid. Upgrade to it if you wish

More specifically, this one,
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/adm...0.0-24-generic

Linux Kenel 2.6.32 and 3.0.0 were both LTS kernels if I am not mistaken, so they will receive security updates and bug fixes for a while.
    Cheers -cc7
    Last edited by vandorjw; August 20th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

Beans

Thanks to you both.

Since the various updated kernel version 2.6.32-xx with xx > 39 are listed in the Synaptic Manager, I've hard time to understand why the Update Manager does not list them for updates.
    The only reason I can think of is that this image was not installed: 'linux-image-generic' (with no 2.6.32-39 in the name).

But that's just a guess.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi
    The only reason I can think of is that this image was not installed: 'linux-image-generic' (with no 2.6.32-39 in the name).
    Install it then, as that may be your problem.

Open a terminal and type...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    ^date^grade
    In the past i have uninstalled the kernel meta packages to ensure i do not get offered kernel updates.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?