Thread: No date/time indicator in xubuntu

Beans

Question No date/time indicator in xubuntu

I just installed xubuntu 12.04 parallel to xubuntu 11.10 ... But I can't get the date/time indicator to work in both of em ...
    xfce4-indicator-plugin is installed ... the message and sound indicator is working!
    please help me!

Beans

Re: No date/time indicator in xubuntu

does this help:

scroll to the header
    Multiple Boot Systems Time Conflicts
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime

Beans

uhm ... No ... I'm sorry, my post is quite confusing ...

I don't think it has something to do with the multiboot system, because the date/time indicator has never worked on the old system before.

It was my hope that the problem solves itself when a new version of ubuntu comes out ... But it appears that the xfce4-indicator-plugin isn't working with the date/time indicator ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by hampsterstory View Post
    I just installed xubuntu 12.04 parallel to xubuntu 11.10 ... But I can't get the date/time indicator to work in both of em ...
    xfce4-indicator-plugin is installed ... the message and sound indicator is working!
    please help me!
    Is the DateTime plugin available as a choice to add to the panel? Or is it missing. If its missing, make sure that the xfce4-datetime-plugin package is installed. If it is installed but is not loading, can you post back the contents of your ~/.xsession-errors file:
    Code:
    pastebinit ~/.xsession-errors
    ...and post back the link that is generated.

Maybe something in there can help identify the source of the problem.

Beans

The date/time plugin of the xfce panel is working fine, but I want to exchange it for the date/time indicator, because of it's integration of the calendar of evolution.

However, I did upload the .xsession-errors here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1157863/

There are several ones resembling this in the file:
    Code:
    (xfce4-indicator-plugin:1768): xfce4-indicator-plugin-DEBUG: Excluding module: libdatetime.so
    As you can see the indicator is installed (as well as the gtk2-module), but this might be the reason why I can't get it to work! Is there any way to force the indicator-plugin to load a specific indicator-module.

Thanks for your help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm not able to test this, but what if you removed xfce4-datetime-plugin?

Beans

OK ... I experimented with some package configurations ...

Code:
    sudo aptitude -y install xfce4-datetime-plugin_ orage_ indicator-datetime-gtk2+ indicator-applet+
    After this reconfiguration and restarting the indicator-plugin on a fresh xubuntu-system, the datetime-indicator appears!

Any idea how to change the order of the indicators?! Right now the clock is between network-manager and sound-indicator and it looks kinda strange that way!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hampsterstory View Post
    Any idea how to change the order of the indicators?! Right now the clock is between network-manager and sound-indicator and it looks kinda strange that way!
    I haven't tested it, but maybe this (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/how-t...ndicators.html) will also work on Xubuntu?

Beans

I haven't tested it, but maybe this (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/how-t...ndicators.html) will also work on Xubuntu?
    This only works for the objects in the application-indicator. I tried it out, but it's not working on Xubuntu! However, I wanted to change the order of the indicators itself, since on Xubuntu it always seems to be: [Message][Sound][Date/Time][Application] This configuration looks rather ridiculous, because the application-indicator loads all kinds of applets and the time is somewhere in between.

But I managed to find out that my sole problem seems to be the application-indicator. I don't need it, it was just coming with the date/time indicator. But removing it via synaptic lets the date/time indicator vanish too ... So I got sick of the non-configurability of the indicators and simply deleted the application-indicator-libraries:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/indicators/7/libapplication.so
    /usr/lib/indicators3/7/libapplication.so
    And now it's working: NO application-indicator BUT date/time-indicator!

Thanks for your help!!

BTW: If anyone has more elegant solutions, I'd be interested in those too ...