Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lubuntu and xubuntu 12.10 non-pae kernel

Thumbs down lubuntu and xubuntu 12.10 non-pae kernel

as you may know non.pae kernel will no longer be supported in 12.10, so i decided to open this thread. if you still use a non-pae system please post it here maybe kernel dev will look at this thread and reconsider removing? and please keep this thread open.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: lubuntu and xubuntu 12.10 non-pae kernel

Hi, this issue has already been decided and is now moot.

Dev's do not read the forum's so it doe's no good to post in the forum on dev issue's.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This really isn't a support question, so moved to the Cafe.

The developers don't as a rule read the forum, so this is really the wrong place for this.

You'd be better off adding your voice to a bug like #1029031. Add a compelling reason why you think there is a need for a non-pae kernel, not just that because you have an older system there is a need for one.

Unhappy Re: lubuntu and xubuntu 12.10 non-pae kernel

i can understand removing non-pae on kubuntu and ubuntu since there bloated but xubuntu and lubuntu i can't agree with. i guess i'll be going with wattos or peppermint.
    the last choice is windows 2000/xp.

p.s i don't think this is going to help ubuntu draw more users into there os anyway they already shot them self in the foot with unity, i guess they like pain. oh well moving on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by linuxusersince2008 View Post
    i guess i'll be going with wattos or peppermint.
    the last choice is windows 2000/xp.
    antix should probably also work
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro

I had to use the non-PAE kernel on my laptop and was lucky enough to find a link to somebody who re-spun the Ubuntu 12.04 CD with it.

I know I am on the tail-end of technology, but that doesn't stop it from being annoying as my systems feel to be squeezed out with each release!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

i feel that ubuntu will be too bloated to run unless your running a core 2 duo with 4gb of ram soon. i don't like thrown a system that still works away, antix doesn't work for me i can't install firefox?

Beans
    Distro

i feel that ubuntu will be too bloated to run unless your running a core 2 duo with 4gb of ram soon. i don't like thrown a system that still works away, antix doesn't work for me i can't install firefox?
    Pae is available in things since early as pentium III. I mean... really.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too. You cannot stick to old hardware for life without giving up new software. There is a limit. Eventually old hardware reaches a state that it can only run old software.

And 12.04 is LTS , that means you will have non-pae kernel support for 5 years... So, why want 12.10? Only explanation would be that you like cutting edge software. But that's a contradiction with not wanting cutting edge hardware :/
    Last edited by vexorian; August 21st, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Many people don't have the money for new things and the prices here are going up and up.

Beans
    Distro

Funny.. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a Pentium M (1 core at ~ 1.8 Ghz) with 2 GB of RAM (max available) and it works pretty good.

Only issues I have is opening the dash, Alt=Tab and HUD all take 2-3 seconds to open up. Otherwise it works just fine.

I also run Windows 7 on it and it is usable.

EDIT: But it cannot handle the PAE kernel.

So things don't go flying at mach 11, but they also aren't so slow they grind to a halt or make me get coffee while I wait. I've had systems so old that this scenario was accurate but not with my PentM/2GB ram system.

Of course it runs nicer on my old dual-core w/6GB or RAM and that one is maybe 5 years old (+/-)? This one can handle the PAE Kernel at least.

Can't complain... I spent a total of $20 for both of them (actually, $20 for the laptop, the desktop was free). I have bought only 2 computers new; one in 2000 and my wife's last December. The rest have all been corporate toss-away that run just fine.
    Last edited by Dragonbite; August 21st, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: mention its inability to handle PAE kernel
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast