Thread: Just tried to install Java 1.7 on 11.04(Natty), can't get it to work.

Beans

Unhappy Just tried to install Java 1.7 on 11.04(Natty), can't get it to work.

Hey folks. yesterday I downloaded and tried to install Java 1.7.0 on my PC, but I can't get the darn thing to work.

First I tried installing it using a method suggested on the official website: I opened it with Archive Manager and extracted it to my home folder(since I couldn't put it in the standard spot). That didn't work, so I tried another method involving updating thru the Terminal process, which also failed.

How can I get this to work? There are programs I'd like to use that don't work with the standard OpenJDK stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Just tried to install Java 1.7 on 11.04(Natty), can't get it to work.

The tutorial I used to install Java was this one right here: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java

It worked perfectly fine with the latest Java. However, you must run the java program from the command line.

To execute a .jar, type java -jar in then drag the file in.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Just tried to install Java 1.7 on 11.04(Natty), can't get it to work.

See also the Ubuntu Community Documentation for installing Java:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

The webup8 method under the Oracle Java 7 section is very simple and works quite well.