Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop

Beans

Remote Desktop

Hello all,
    I installed Vino in an attempt to remote desktop control my Lubuntu machine. I am having no success in accomplishing my task. Is there any step by step process I could follow, that would allow me to remote desktop control my Lubuntu machine. I love this OS so far, but this one thing is bugging me a bit - with the 12.04 Ubuntu - remote desktop is a can of corn .... or piece of cake .... which ever one you prefer. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm not a huge Linux fanboy ... meaning some of the common terms and acronyms I have to look up - so a real easy step by step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the effort with this OS,

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Remote Desktop

Hello wewhitt,
    I don't know how to use vino. I have tried TeamViewer and it worked well. Here is the link.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

It comes in a .deb file and can be installed with GDebi package installer. TeamViewer not in the Ubuntu Repository. You will have to decide if the source is trustworthy. I often wrestle with things like that. I do believe the company is reputable.

GDebi is available in the Software Center or via Synaptic.

Dave

Beans

I agree with Dave W recommendation, teamviewer is no fuss and couldn't be easier to set up and use.

Beans

You both are very correct - easy install - complete control - secure for the application I am running. Thank you for the advice!!

Bill
    Last edited by wewhitt; July 25th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If I recall correctly, vino is not installed by default in Lubuntu.

You may have to install it and set it up to accept remote control.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You're right - the vino installed during the first portion of the Deb install run. The Teamviewer DEB file took care of that.

The problem that I'm running into now - is how to get Teamviewer to start up on a reboot. I know in windows you can drop files that don't have windows boot startup's ... in the start folder. Is there something like this in Lubuntu - to place a program in the boot sequence somewhere.

I'm so close to re-purposing this machine - if I can get this to startup on reboot - I will be set!!!

Bill

Beans

Here you are: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/f...-lubuntu-tips/ (section "How to adjust Start Up Applications in Lubuntu", last part).

Beans

Very nice!!!

Problem solved!!

I have rebooted 4 times to test - can log in each time - I have complete control of my machine, and I can get to it if there is a power cycle.

Thank you all for the support - it is greatly appreciated!!

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Awesome!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I know this is a old post. But I installed Lubuntu 12.04 and vino... I did the vino-preferences, and I can't get it to announce it. I could not connect, and avahi is not announcing it.

Any help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast