Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop

Beans

Remote Desktop

Hello all,
    I installed Vino in an attempt to remote desktop control my Lubuntu machine. I am having no success in accomplishing my task. Is there any step by step process I could follow, that would allow me to remote desktop control my Lubuntu machine. I love this OS so far, but this one thing is bugging me a bit - with the 12.04 Ubuntu - remote desktop is a can of corn .... or piece of cake .... which ever one you prefer. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm not a huge Linux fanboy ... meaning some of the common terms and acronyms I have to look up - so a real easy step by step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the effort with this OS,

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Remote Desktop

Hello wewhitt,
    I don't know how to use vino. I have tried TeamViewer and it worked well. Here is the link.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

It comes in a .deb file and can be installed with GDebi package installer. TeamViewer not in the Ubuntu Repository. You will have to decide if the source is trustworthy. I often wrestle with things like that. I do believe the company is reputable.

GDebi is available in the Software Center or via Synaptic.

Dave

Beans

I agree with Dave W recommendation, teamviewer is no fuss and couldn't be easier to set up and use.

Beans

You both are very correct - easy install - complete control - secure for the application I am running. Thank you for the advice!!

Bill
    Last edited by wewhitt; July 25th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If I recall correctly, vino is not installed by default in Lubuntu.

You may have to install it and set it up to accept remote control.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You're right - the vino installed during the first portion of the Deb install run. The Teamviewer DEB file took care of that.

The problem that I'm running into now - is how to get Teamviewer to start up on a reboot. I know in windows you can drop files that don't have windows boot startup's ... in the start folder. Is there something like this in Lubuntu - to place a program in the boot sequence somewhere.

I'm so close to re-purposing this machine - if I can get this to startup on reboot - I will be set!!!

Bill

Beans

Here you are: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/f...-lubuntu-tips/ (section "How to adjust Start Up Applications in Lubuntu", last part).

Beans

Very nice!!!

Problem solved!!

I have rebooted 4 times to test - can log in each time - I have complete control of my machine, and I can get to it if there is a power cycle.

Thank you all for the support - it is greatly appreciated!!

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Awesome!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I know this is a old post. But I installed Lubuntu 12.04 and vino... I did the vino-preferences, and I can't get it to announce it. I could not connect, and avahi is not announcing it.

Any help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast