Thread: Getting Lubuntu installed.

Beans

Getting Lubuntu installed.

I need some serious help on this one. I haven't touched this old Power Mac G3 (B&W) in YEARS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Getting Lubuntu installed.

download lubuntu (i assume from another computer as that one probably does not have a cd burner)

burn lubuntu ISO to cd

insert cd into G3

restart G3 Holding the "C" button as soon as you hear the "chime noise"

system should now boot from cd, go ahead and follow the GUI instructions (they are pretty straight forward, post back if you need further help from there)

Also note that all data etc will be lost on the G3 if you install lubuntu so backup any data needed before installation.

Beans

Gave it a try and it didn't boot from CD.

Perhaps its the keyboard, Or maybe its just being fussy with my CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if the OS is still loaded on the G3 try and boot normally and verify the cd drive is working. If it is old there may be dust etc on the lens and it cannot read disk any longer.

Another option would be use unetbootin and install the image to a USB flash drive however I do not believe the old macs supported USB booting.

Did you hear the G3 attempt to read from the disk in anyway? was the disk spinning?

Beans

There are leans cleaners for DVD ROM if it is an issue, and just to make sure; did you remember to burn iso at low speed? You often get errors burning at higher speeds. I have never found a good explanation for it, but it is very much so.