Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oracle now destroying MySQL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oracle now destroying MySQL

http://developers.slashdot.org/story...%28Slashdot%29

I was wondering how long it would take Oracle to start pulling this nonsense with MySQL since MySQL is their main competitor... and IMO probably the main reason they bought Sun...

Time to fork?

Beans

Re: Oracle now destroying MySQL

The reasons to purchase were far greater than this. Things move on.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The reasons to purchase were far greater than this. Things move on.
    Sure I don't doubt there were other reasons such as buying a lawsuit in a can against Google with the patents acquired.

But lets face it, Oracle's big money maker is their database, and that competes directly with MySQL which is/was the largest market-share database in web servers used.... Which leaves me in no doubt at all that MySQL was a major consideration to this purchase.

Also.... This from PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...esun_deal.html
    Oracle told U.S. authorities that the EU was "pressuring it to divest MySQL as a condition for approval of the merger," a move that would "destroy" the deal
    So without MySQL Oracle would not have purchased Sun.......
    Last edited by Primefalcon; August 18th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

Oracle and MySQL are relational databases; the similarities pretty much end there. I've used both, and I don't see them as competition; they are about as far removed in my opinion as Solaris and Android.

In any case, there are already forks -- MariaDB is probably the best known and mentioned in the article.

Plus, postgresql is better anyway

Oracle can do what they like, nobody expected them to charge forward with open development anyway. Who knows, in six months they may dump the whole thing on Apache like they did with openoffice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Who knows, in six months they may dump the whole thing on Apache like they did with openoffice.
    Not likely.... not when Oracle said MySQL was a dealbreaker if it wasn't included....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Oracle and MySQL are relational databases; the similarities pretty much end there. I've used both, and I don't see them as competition; they are about as far removed in my opinion as Solaris and Android.
    The way they work is very different, but they target the same market, so yes, they are competitors.

Anecdote: I happen to know somebody who interviewed at Oracle. As part of the inteview, he had to give a satisfactory presentation that showed that Oracle is a better database than MySQL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If their objective is to ruin mySQL then dropping it on Apache is also a good method.

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    Sure I don't doubt there were other reasons such as buying a lawsuit in a can against Google with the patents acquired.

But lets face it, Oracle's big money maker is their database, and that competes directly with MySQL which is/was the largest market-share database in web servers used.... Which leaves me in no doubt at all that MySQL was a major consideration to this purchase.

Also.... This from PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...esun_deal.html

So without MySQL Oracle would not have purchased Sun.......
    If the Java lawsuit on Android was one of their main objectives then I almost feel sorry for oracle.

Almost.

To me, it is looking like they just wanted to look for the best ways possible to ruin the whole world. Eagerly Waiting for how are they gonna ruin VirtualBox next.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Wouldn't this violate Sherman Antitrust Act?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    http://developers.slashdot.org/story...%28Slashdot%29

I was wondering how long it would take Oracle to start pulling this nonsense with MySQL since MySQL is their main competitor... and IMO probably the main reason they bought Sun...

Time to fork?
    MariaDB is being written by the same group that originally wrote MySQL, so no need for a fork.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    Wouldn't this violate Sherman Antitrust Act?
    Not in any clear sense. For one, Oracle's aquisition of Sun was evidently approved by the US Government.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast