Thread: Ubuntu page similar to iGoogle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Ubuntu page similar to iGoogle

I've been using Ubuntu since Lucid and I love it.

My question is this, Google recently announced that they will be shutting down iGoogle in September 2013. Is it possible that a similar page could be created for Ubuntu, one with user-chosen modules and apps?

One thought behind such a page is that it might be a good way to show off Ubuntu to people who've never heard of it or tried it but who like having an iGoogle-like page that's customizable and if they're like me, their homepage. There might be a module created that could be moved around the page but not deleted that has daily information on the newest, niftiest Ubuntu creation. Such a page might also be made available for mobile.

I've heard quite a few lament iGoogle's coming closure, so any tie-in that Google might assist with in letting potential Ubuntu users know this new page exists would be a double plus ultra bonus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu page similar to iGoogle

yeah not really sure why they're shutting down igoogle tbh, I know a lot of people who use it

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

You should submit your idea to Ubuntu Brainstorm. That's your best bet of having them actually consider it.

I'm pretty bummed about losing iGoogle, too. If Canonical doesn't go with your idea, check out Netvibes. It's similar to iGoogle. It's not quite as polished, but it's the next best thing I've found. I'm sticking with iGoogle as long as possible, then I'll probably switch over to Netvibes.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've used igoogle for a long time and hope that they replace it rather than eliminate it completely.

I had a vision of a google OS (not just a browser holder), with everything we have come to expect in Windows. No one seems to use plus. A few are using play.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Ubuntu page similar to iGoogle

Quote Originally Posted by PaulInBHC View Post
    I've used igoogle for a long time and hope that they replace it rather than eliminate it completely.
    I doubt they will...If there was a clone of it set up by Ubuntu,that would sure be a feather in Ubuntu's hat.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166