Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oracle now destroying MySQL

Beans

Re: Oracle now destroying MySQL

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    The way they work is very different, but they target the same market, so yes, they are competitors.
    If there's overlap in some situations, it's not one I've experienced. Not that I've experience everything, so I'll freely admit I'm probably wrong.

I guess my own experiences where I work (and other db's as well), I can't remember a situation where there was a debate between using one or the other. When Oracle was used, it was the only thing that would have worked, and when MySQL was used it would have been laughable to use Oracle.

Anecdote: I happen to know somebody who interviewed at Oracle. As part of the inteview, he had to give a satisfactory presentation that showed that Oracle is a better database than MySQL.
    Fair enough.

Beans

The problem lays in that a lot of things use mySQL including some linux apps so this is pretty nasty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There's little oracle can do that would hurt the free software projects that already use mysql. If this keeps happening, the developers can just take the latest release to be licensed GPL and fork away. The projects will just need to switch to the fork (or distribution's packagers can do the change themselves).

It is the risk of companies like Oracle buying out projects what makes me happy we got the GPL.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    It is the risk of companies like Oracle buying out projects what makes me happy we got the GPL.
    Agreed 100%... since MySQL was a dealbreaker..... I really have to wonder..... Did Oracle really not understand what the GPL is when they bought Sun....

They got left with nothing after they did the same to OpenOffice, now they pull the same kinda thing with MySQL... Do they not understand this stuff can easily be forked.... that the only thing they really own is the name?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    Agreed 100%... since MySQL was a dealbreaker..... I really have to wonder..... Did Oracle really not understand what the GPL is when they bought Sun....

They got left with nothing after they did the same to OpenOffice, now they pull the same kinda thing with MySQL... Do they not understand this stuff can easily be forked.... that the only thing they really own is the name?
    one does not rise to management in a company the size of Oracle without being aware of the industry one is in and have a good level of intelligence.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    Wouldn't this violate Sherman Antitrust Act?
    Probably, but the US government's record of actually enforcing the Act is very spotty, so it's rather moot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    one does not rise to management in a company the size of Oracle without being aware of the industry one is in and have a good level of intelligence.
    I disagree, the guy who owns oracle either does not understand the GPL.... or he does understand the GPL and thinks people wouldn't just fork it anyhow....

One way or the other..... he's made a gross miscalulation.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Sometimes some that have risen to big company management don't act like they have the level intelligence required.
    I've seen big, upper management and CEOs do some very stupid things.

Besides, GPL is relatively so small a part of the market that it's very possible to have a high level of understanding of the tech market and all of the competitors without understanding the inner workings of the GPL license.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oracle pretty much owns MySQL. So they could close the source and change the license if they wanted and start charging for it.

MariaDB is 100% compatible with MySQL. A true drop in replacement. All mysql commands, APIs, etc work.

MariaDB is GPLv2 and is looking more and more like the future...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Oracle pretty much owns MySQL. So they could close the source and change the license if they wanted and start charging for it.
    It is not possible to retroactively change the license of stuff that was already released. So if Oracle do that, there's nothing stopping you from taking the last GPL-ed release and keep on working on it with the GPL.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast