Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quit my job and go for Phd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quit my job and go for Phd?

At the moment I have job where I am getting about ~55k per year.
    I am also working on my master's at the moment (have only two semesters to go before I finish).

Yesterday, my professor asked me if I can quit my job and become full-time student. He got award and wants me to work on this project for next 3 years. This way, this award wiill cover my tuition and I will able to finish phd in 3 years. I will also get payed, but its only 12k a year, not a lot.

Should I keep my job? or go for full-time student with this award?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Quit my job and go for Phd?

The real question is, do you want to start making money soon, or would you rather be able to introduce yourself as Dr. "Kdar"? If your ego demands you have that title, then go for it.

Also depends on what you want to do for a career. If you want to become a professor, you'll probably need to get the doctorate; however, in the private industry (at least in the USA) experience almost always trumps level of higher education. So working in the private industry, you may be setting your self back many years by getting the PHD.

Also depends on if you currently have debt related to your education up to this point. In the long run, paying off whatever debt you have now as quickly as possible results in significantly more money later. Putting off paying down on your debts for several years may very well be more costly than the increase in income you might get from a PHD.

What is the PHD in anyway? That too could be an important factor.

You know your situation better than anybody else.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

That as stated before is a question only you can answer. I would start by weighing your current cost of living and financial situation. Would you have to take out loans for the three years and if so would you have a guarantee to pay them off sooner rather than later upon completion? Sounds like you have some serious internal debating coming up, but once you make your decision I would say stick to your guns and own the decision you made.

Beans

1k per month? Would the knowledge U would get that way be that much better and faster than with a job aside?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As others have said, it depends on what you want to do when you get out.

Teaching college doesn't pay a lot but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm required to be on campus maybe 15-20 hrs/wk while the rest of my prep and research is up to me to schedule. I get to teach what I want how I want and research things that interest me anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Do you have any dependents? You could probably get by on £12K if it's just you, but it would be a frugal three years. You might find on that low an income you'd be eligible to all sorts of tax credits, housing benefit, etc so your outgoings would drop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Keeping the job may depend on the time commitment and work involved. In my brothers case being a geologist much of his research was done in Norway during the summer.Being from the U.S. This of course made it impossible to be employed full time.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; August 19th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Only do a PhD if you are sure you want to do it. Ie. if you are sure you want to spend most of your life doing research, whether it pays or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kdar View Post
    At the moment I have job where I am getting about ~55k per year.
    I am also working on my master's at the moment (have only two semesters to go before I finish).

Yesterday, my professor asked me if I can quit my job and become full-time student. He got award and wants me to work on this project for next 3 years. This way, this award wiill cover my tuition and I will able to finish phd in 3 years. I will also get payed, but its only 12k a year, not a lot.

Should I keep my job? or go for full-time student with this award?
    Where wil you be in 3 years if you don't go for the PhD? Do you want to live the kind of life the PhD would enable you to live?

The PhD program is a transition to a new lifestyle. If that's what you want, do it. Don't let the 12K stipend stand in your way. You will be a poor student for 3 years. So What? What is that compared to a lifetime of unhappiness.

On the other hand, if your current job leads somewhere, and you are happy, maybe you should stay there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast