Thread: No Internet with Edimax EW-7728In After Upgrade to 12.04

Beans

Angry No Internet with Edimax EW-7728In After Upgrade to 12.04

I was upgrading an out of date box last night and now there is no way to utilize the wireless card to connect to wireless. The wireless itself is fine as I am using it now with Windows 7 on my laptop. No Network Management icon shows in the upper right corner with the time, either. I can't really make sense of the solutions out there because they're either out of date or don't really do anything. Anyone know how I can connect to the internet again? I could use it fine pre-upgrade.
    Last edited by lalaithan; August 18th, 2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Internet with Edimax EW-7728In After Upgrade to 12.04

I think your device uses the driver rt2800pci. Let's load it and see what happens and if there are any interesting messages. Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rt2800pci
    dmesg | grep -i rt2
    iwconfig
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I think your device uses the driver rt2800pci. Let's load it and see what happens and if there are any interesting messages. Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rt2800pci
    dmesg | grep -i rt2
    iwconfig
    Thanks.
    Wow, I made a typo, hold on, I'll run it again.
    Last edited by lalaithan; August 19th, 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: dumbness

Beans

I get this:
    Code:
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ sudo modprobe rt2800pci
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf.dpkg-remove, it will be ignored in a future release.
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ dmesg | grep -i rt2
    [   14.504483] rt2800pci 0000:01:09.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APC2] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [   14.517506] Registered led device: rt2800pci-phy0::radio
    [   14.517526] Registered led device: rt2800pci-phy0::assoc
    [   14.517547] Registered led device: rt2800pci-phy0::quality
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    Last edited by lalaithan; August 19th, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

[ 14.504483] rt2800pci 0000:01:09.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APC2] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [ 14.517506] Registered led device: rt2800pci-phy0::radio
    We see that the module loaded early in the boot process, undoubtedly automatically. We also see you have a wireless interface:
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:off/any
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=0 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Power Management:off
    Does it scan?
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    No Network Management icon shows in the upper right corner with the time, either.
    Let's see if we can wake it up:
    Code:
    nm-applet &
    Let's try to fix this:
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf.dpkg-remove, it will be ignored in a future release.
    Yikes!! What's in there? The contents will determine what we need to do to fix it:
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf.dpkg-remove
    Messy...
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I get the following messages:

Code:
    wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
    Code:
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ nm-applet &
    [1] 2320
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ 
    ** (nm-applet:2320): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

** (nm-applet:2320): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
    ** Message: Starting applet secret agent because GNOME Shell disappeared

** (nm-applet:2320): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
    Code:
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf.dpkg-remove
    # cups talks to the raw USB devices, so we need to blacklist usblp to avoid
    # grabbing them
    blacklist usblp

Beans
    Distro

ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf.dpkg-remove
    # cups talks to the raw USB devices, so we need to blacklist usblp to avoid
    # grabbing them
    blacklist usblp
    Please do:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf.dpkg-remove /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-cups-usblp.conf
    That problem will be fixed.
    wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
    We wonder why. Let's see if there are warnings or errors here:
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    dmesg | grep wlan
    ** (nm-applet:2320): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
    ...Googling...

EDIT: Please try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager-gnome
    sudo service network-manager start
    Now is it working?
    Last edited by chili555; August 19th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Beans

Nope, I get the following:

Code:
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 : Depends: gtk2-engines-oxygen:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: libopenal1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: libsane:i386 but it is not going to be installed
     libavcodec53 : Depends: libvpx1 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
     libflac8:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     libshout3:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     libsndfile1:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     libtheora0:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
     libvorbis0a:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
     libvorbisfile3:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
     software-center : Depends: python-apt (>= 0.8.3ubuntu4) but 0.8.0ubuntu9 is to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager-gnome
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     gstreamer0.10-plugins-base:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     ia32-libs-multiarch:i386 : Depends: gtk2-engines-oxygen:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: libopenal1:i386 but it is not going to be installed
                                Depends: libsane:i386 but it is not going to be installed
     libavcodec53 : Depends: libvpx1 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
     libflac8:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     libshout3:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     libsndfile1:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.0rc3) but it is not going to be installed
     libtheora0:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
     libvorbis0a:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
     libvorbisfile3:i386 : Depends: libogg0:i386 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
     software-center : Depends: python-apt (>= 0.8.3ubuntu4) but 0.8.0ubuntu9 is to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
    ashley@fuzzy-squirrel:~$ sudo service network-manager start
    network-manager start/running, process 2802

Beans
    Distro

This just gets messier and messier. I think you are at a crossroads. Is it better and less risky to do a backup and reinstall from scratch or is it better to try a repair as suggested:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall network-manager-gnome
    sudo service network-manager start
    There are a lot of problems there and a repair might or might not go perfectly.

Whichever approach you take, I'd back up NOW!!

Beans

I think I'm going to do a fresh reinstall. Thank you for all your help!