Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD or Nvidia Graphics Card for Linux?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: AMD or Nvidia Graphics Card for Linux?

I have used both nVidia and ATI cards with Linux. I've had about the same number and pretty much the same types of problems with both. Right now, I'm using a fairly recent ATI card with very good results using the ATI proprietary driver.

My one big problem is that I cannot install the proprietary driver in Siduction Linux. All my other distros (Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Sabayon Linux) install it just fine.

My problem with the FOSS driver is that it makes my video card run too hot, about 15-20 C hotter than fglrx.

So, I have no bottom line answer. The two brands are about as good and about as bad as each other.

Tim
    Last edited by ratcheer; August 20th, 2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Typo
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AMD or Nvidia Graphics Card for Linux?

I had a nice AMD card but moved to an Nvidia card, primarily because it was much quieter. Linux code often does not offer the same fine-tuned fan control that proprietary drivers do.

If you are not a gamer, it's likely that nothing you do will ever challenge any contemporary video card.

Buy something that's about two years old and you should be fine with any Linux flavor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I abide by a rule to never install bleeding edge hardware for Linux, regardless of brand. A model that's been in circulation for a year or so is less likely to cause grief. And if it does cause problems, there is likely a proven solution available. I'm not a gamer but have 2 Nvidia cards, 8400GS w/ 512 RAM and GeForce 210 w/ 1 gig. RAM. Both Nvidia cards are on AMD/Gigabyte Motherboards. Smooth sailing with both.
    Last edited by kurt18947; August 19th, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I have used both nVidia and ATI cards with Linux. I've had about the same number and pretty much the same types of problems with both. Right now, I'm using a fairly recent ATI card with very good results using the ATI proprietary driver.

My one big problem is that I cannot install the proprietary driver in Siduction Linux. All my other distros (Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Sabayon Linux) install it just fine.

My problem with the FOSS driver is that it makes my video card run too hot, about 15-20 C hotter than fglrx.

So, I have no bottom line answer. The two brands are about as good and about as bad as each other.

Tim
    That's also the reason why I try to use the proprietary drivers: my laptop becomes too hot.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: AMD or Nvidia Graphics Card for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by JonasDeMoor View Post
    That's also the reason why I try to use the proprietary drivers: my laptop becomes too hot.
    My Arch Linux installation is up to Catalyst version 12.8. It is running even cooler than 12.6 and earlier.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Maybe this is a bit late, but I wanna add this for everyone that stumbles on this thread though a search machine.

I´m using an ATI XFX 4770. This card is about 3.5 years old by now. Currently using Linux Mint Maya x86_64, but I´ve used Ubuntu 12.04 and Arch Linux too. And let me tell you something: the main reason I´m not yet fully switching to Linux is because of the horrible video drivers.

Not matter what I do, there are graphical glitches everywhere. The only time I was able to enable OpenGL acceleration for a DE was on Arch with KDE. And it worked awful, breaking half the desktop. Now I´m using Mint my CPU usage skyrockets from just moving a window.

So my experience with AMD Linux drivers isn´t exactly positive.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i always go Nvidia. Especially since they just released the newest version which supposedly doubles performance for gaming on the most recent cards out there.
    http://www.geek.com/articles/games/t...mance-2012117/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ClementL View Post
    Maybe this is a bit late, but I wanna add this for everyone that stumbles on this thread though a search machine.

I´m using an ATI XFX 4770. This card is about 3.5 years old by now. Currently using Linux Mint Maya x86_64, but I´ve used Ubuntu 12.04 and Arch Linux too. And let me tell you something: the main reason I´m not yet fully switching to Linux is because of the horrible video drivers.

Not matter what I do, there are graphical glitches everywhere. The only time I was able to enable OpenGL acceleration for a DE was on Arch with KDE. And it worked awful, breaking half the desktop. Now I´m using Mint my CPU usage skyrockets from just moving a window.

So my experience with AMD Linux drivers isn´t exactly positive.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm now using the open-source driver ('radeon') with Linux Mint Maya (13) XFCE 64-bits with my HD 3650 and it's running great, except that the laptop becomes warm sometimes.

Off-topic: Aren't you Clement Lefebvre from Linux Mint, by any chance?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    i always go Nvidia. Especially since they just released the newest version which supposedly doubles performance for gaming on the most recent cards out there.
    http://www.geek.com/articles/games/t...mance-2012117/
    Yes, I've just read this too on OMG! Ubuntu: this means a huge step forward for gaming AND Linux

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12