Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to tag a large number of unidentified mp3 music files

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!

    How to tag a large number of unidentified mp3 music files

    I have a large number of mp3 music files that were ripped from CDs we purchased. They were ripped long ago, most of these CDs are now lost. Because of how they were ripped, most of these files have little or no tags on them. So, in something like Banshee, there' no title, no artist, etc.

    I'd like to tag them. I'm familiar with MusicBrainz and Picard, but that will be a very tedious process.

    Any ideas on how to make the process more efficient?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Beans
    104

    Re: How to tag a large number of unidentified mp3 music files

    I am unfamiliar with MusicBrainz and Picard but a quick look suggests that EasyTag might have a few more features, including the ability to bulk-add some tags to selected files. Still a bit of manual work ahead though I suspect .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Beans
    82
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: How to tag a large number of unidentified mp3 music files

    I have used all three of the programs mentioned, all have worked... kinda. My end result was just deleting everything and reimporting the music.

    The programs seemed to have success with about 80% of the music, the problem is of course the other 20% which may accidentally get the wrong name / artist. Then you have to manually listen to every song to make sure they are all correct and if there not you end up manually googling lyrics to find out what they are.

    The other issue is if you have mix cds eg ("NOW" thats what I call music) or any modern hip hop. You will not get the results you are wanting, you will end up with either a completely wrong naming scheme or single songs that have 10 or more artists attached.

    There definitely worth a shot, I would just back up all your music to another location so if the results are undesirable you can just delete the renamed stuff.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •