Thread: Address change

Beans

Address change

I have posted some issues that I am having with connecting a Myth and Win 7 computers. The Myth computer is wireless and the Win 7 is connected to the router via ethernet. I originally solved the problems with connecting the 2. I entered IFCON to obtain the address of the Myth computer. After a reboot of both machines, I could not connect. The Myth could see the Win 7 but the Win 7 could not see the Myth. I am trying to transfer videos from the Myth to the Win 7 so they could be converted to AVI files. I eventually found that the address of the Myth computer changed after the reboot. It went from xxx.xx.x.101 to xxx.xx.x.102 Is this normal for the address to change? How can I make it stay the same?
    Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Address change

There are different ways of coping, each of which has its own merits. My preference is to use the router to assign or reserve a static IP address to each machine.
    Last edited by Iowan; August 19th, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Oops - edited wrong post...
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Address change

If the (Myth) machine is set for DHCP, then it might get a different address each time it reboots. You can assign it a static address (outside the DHCP range - but still within the subnet), or use the aforementioned static lease method. I (also) prefer to let the DHCP server (router) manage IP addresses. Others might consider a DHCP server overly complicated for a small network.
    Last edited by Iowan; August 19th, 2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: This is the one I intended to edit...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net