Thread: Strange tray behaviour

Beans

Red face Strange tray behaviour

Hi all, I have an issue with the system tray.

I love the mail/pidgin (indicator plugin) that comes by default in xubuntu. But I have noticed that there is no way to keep pidgin and thunderbord open in the tray after closing them. I found a setting in Pidgin to do this but it creates its own item in the tray. This is pointless as I feel it is supposed to be taken care of in the indicator plugin and I'm just not doing it right. But without that setting, when I close pidgin the whole app closes and hence I wont get any messages (and even the notifier doesn't tell me when I have messages).

There is similar behaviour to thunderbird as well. I can't keep in the tray without using all2tray but this makes another item in the menu. But if I dont then Notifier doesn't notify me that I have any emails.

Is this something I am doing wrong to get this to work? Or are we simply meant to keep thunderbird and pidgin open the entire time?

Another solution would be to find a way to not show thunderbird or pidgin in the panel when they are open and I always launch them from the notifier plugin. Any thoughts?

Beans

Re: Strange tray behaviour

Bethoven's 5th... bum-bum-bum-bummmpp...

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Strange tray behaviour

Does opening Thunderbird and Pigeon in separate workspaces seem workable? They'd be open but you wouldn't see them from other workspaces except for the small icon in the workspace switcher.