Thread: Nvidia 9800Gt on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Question Nvidia 9800Gt on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Ok,, Here we go.

I have dabbled with Ubuntu at various times in the past but always went back to Win-doze, but now I am back for good as I am truly tired of the worsening personal experiences I have encountered with Micros products.

Before I am flamed I will say my experience with Linux is very minimal at best so I know I have quite a bit of work ahead of me. And yes,,, I have searched for an answer to my issue but the detail was way over my knowledge base at this time ,,,so thus I begin my real journey here.

My issue is this.
    New install of 12.04 LTS and I am trying to get my flat TV to show movies from my PC. As I used to do until today. My video card is an Nvidia 9800GT.
    I installed the recommended driver and rebooted but when I went to use the application to define the video for the TV all that was in the Graphics was "DRIVER UNKNOWN" and "STANDARD EXPERIENCE". And yes,,,, I did reboot after the install.

Could someone please steer me in the right direction so I can enjoy my movies again that I have accumulated over the years?

I am using HDMI only for the video. The audio is carried on separate cabling from the PC.

Thanks ahead guys n gals

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nvidia 9800Gt on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

You need to use nvidia-settings, to set up dual-screen, or any other screen for that matter. Click the Dash icon in the top left corner and type:

Code:
    nv
    I'm running Quantal (12.10), and nvidia hasn't created a working driver yet, or I'd show you a screenshot of the program.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You need to use nvidia-settings, to set up dual-screen, or any other screen for that matter. Click the Dash icon in the top left corner and type:

Code:
    nv
    I'm running Quantal (12.10), and nvidia hasn't created a working driver yet, or I'd show you a screenshot of the program.
    ============================================

Thank you very much,, I am setting this PC up as a dual boot until I firmly understand what I am doing. Seems strange ,,,honestly.

As I have been doing IT work for 15+ years.
    Between my father,,myself and my son we have a combined total of over 70 years in this industry. At this point in time I am just taking it easy doing some "babysitting" on a set of IBM Z's plex with several Petas of EMC and HDS dasdi...
    I really felt "uncomfortable" asking for assistance.

I THANK YOU for your response.

Hit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post

Code:
    nv
    hi, have a question if you can answer, i would be appreciated, im running 12.10 and graphic card is nvidia 9800 gt, every things is running great using auto driver which is Nouveau, should i try different driver? am i going to gain anythings? Thanks..