Ok,, Here we go.

I have dabbled with Ubuntu at various times in the past but always went back to Win-doze, but now I am back for good as I am truly tired of the worsening personal experiences I have encountered with Micros products.

Before I am flamed I will say my experience with Linux is very minimal at best so I know I have quite a bit of work ahead of me. And yes,,, I have searched for an answer to my issue but the detail was way over my knowledge base at this time ,,,so thus I begin my real journey here.

My issue is this.
New install of 12.04 LTS and I am trying to get my flat TV to show movies from my PC. As I used to do until today. My video card is an Nvidia 9800GT.
I installed the recommended driver and rebooted but when I went to use the application to define the video for the TV all that was in the Graphics was "DRIVER UNKNOWN" and "STANDARD EXPERIENCE". And yes,,,, I did reboot after the install.

Could someone please steer me in the right direction so I can enjoy my movies again that I have accumulated over the years?

I am using HDMI only for the video. The audio is carried on separate cabling from the PC.

Thanks ahead guys n gals