Thread: how to connect a usb modem through the terminal

Beans

how to connect a usb modem through the terminal

Hello experts. I'v spent the past 2 days and 1½ hour from the third day trying to figure out how to configure my USB modem to start surfing on the net. And now i give up. Obviously i dont know what i'm doing so i need some help. I'm gettin an error when trying to connect with wvdial. Here is the error from the terminal:
    Code:
    --> Initializing modem. 
    --> Sending: AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se" 
    AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se" 
    OK 
    --> Modem initialized. 
    --> Cannot get information for serial port. 
    --> Initializing modem. 
    --> Sending: AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se" 
    AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se" 
    OK 
    --> Modem initialized. 
    --> Sending: ATDT*99# 
    --> Waiting for carrier. ATDT*99# ~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }9}#}%B#}%}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&URy,kT~ 
    CONNECT 
    --> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt. 
    ~[7f]}#@!}!}"} }9}#}%B#}%}(}"}'}"}"}&} } } } }%}&URy,'9~ 
    --> PPP negotiation detected. 
    --> Starting pppd at Fri Aug 17 19:20:17 2012 
    --> Pid of pppd: 10401 
    --> Using interface ppp0 
    --> pppd: ��B  
    --> Disconnecting at Fri Aug 17 19:20:18 2012 
    --> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16) --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail. 
    --> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information. 
    --> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 40 seconds
    And my wvdial.conf looks like this:
    Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]  
    Init1 = AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se" 
    Modem Type = USB Modem 
    Phone = *99# 
    ISDN = 0 
    Username = * 
    Password = * 
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0 
    Baud = 460800 
    Pin = 7702
    This is the lsusb output:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 12d1:1505 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E398 LTE/UMTS/GSM Modem/Networkcard 
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bdb:1902 Ericsson Business Mobile Networks BV F3507g v2 Mobile Broadband Module
    I've changed the wvdial.config several times with no success and if i change Init1 to:
    Code:
    Init1 = ATZ  
    Init2 = AT + CGDCONT=1, "IP", "bredband.tre.se"
    i get an error saying ATZ Error Bad init string. Here's the modem i'm using http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=h...Nb5gaAP&itbs=1 I really need some help here. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ernes; August 19th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Beans

Re: how to connect a usb modem through the terminal

Can you give us some more info about your setup.
    It looks to me as if you're attempting to use a serial-line dialup tool with a usb modem - but what sort of modem, and is there really a serial line connection, or is this a broadband linkup you're attempting? Is it to connect over a mobile-phone link?
    Derek

Beans

@dandsmith i'm using a Huawei E372 USB Modem Dongle, it's a mobile broadband modem. It has a sim-card in it and it requires a pin number of 4 digits to be able to connect. I tested it on Ubuntu 12.0.4 and it works fine but i'm having a really hard time trying to set it up on Backtrack 5 R3. Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans

I don't know anything about Backtrack.
    I tried to follow the link in your edited posting - but it isn't a proper link, and goes nowhere.
    Good luck in your hunt.
    Derek

Beans

Hi, you're right, the link was broken. It seem that the post was removed. See my edit, i added a picture of the USB dongle i'm using. Do i need to provide more information? Is my question not clear enough? Thanks.

Beans

I'm clear about what you're attempting, and the details of the device.

Unfortunately, you're outside my comfort zone and experience - I was attracted by the combination of terms 'terminal' and modem' in the post title, and wondered what exactly the situation was.

I suspect that there may be some country-oriented experience needed, given the ISP name - is there a forum closer to home for you to consult?

The whole technique of addressing the modem, and setting up the link using old-fashioned AT codes gets into an area where I could once have said what to do, but my experience is no longer relevant.

Sorry

I just found this thread which mentions the PIN. It could be that you'll find some bits of use, even tho' it's a different modem.
    Last edited by dandnsmith; August 20th, 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: more info, which may be of use
    Derek

Beans

Ok, thanks anyway for the attention. I'll keep looking for an answer. Have a nice one.