Thread: A petition to the Gnome Developers : Make Gnome Customisable Out of the Box again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

A petition to the Gnome Developers : Make Gnome Customisable Out of the Box again.

On April the 6th 2011, Gnome 3 was Released, Gnome 3 sported many brand new features, Such as the Shell Interface, CSS3 style GTK Theming and a new theme, But A Sacrifice was made : The Preferences for Easily changing themes, The "Appearence" Window was removed : You Upset allot of people by doing that : Theming is what made allot of people use Gnome, Now you cannot change the GTK, Metacity, Icon or Shell theme out of the box without editing gconf directly or installing sotware or extensions : Gnome basicly became less customisable out of the box.

Gnome 3 , Although awesome, Is changing fast, and henceforth breaks themers Shell and GTK themes upon updates, Causing Frustration for users & themers alike.

I hate to say it, But you've stopped listening to your userbase, thinking you know what's best for them, And that has upset a large number of them.

I can already hear whispers of "Gnome Classic" : But lets face it, It's still less customisable : I mean heck , even changing your panel layout has become some kind of obstacle course of holding down keys and right clicking : Why can't you just leave it nice and functional ? as it was ?

The argument that gnome will run on tablets, smartphones and other touch devices is also completly Worthless : 99% Of gnome users will be using a PC, And a large majority will miss the old customisable gnome2 : I'm not asking we go back, I'm asking we go forward :

- Add Customisability out of the box
    - Make Gnome classic as easy to customise as gnome 2
    - Show your User Base that you haven't forgotten them
    - Bring back the Minimize button (Seriously guys !)
    - Think about Current extentions and themes by Implementing Backwards compatibility so developers don't have to constantly modify their work to keep up.

We Loved Gnome 2, Make Us Love Gnome 3.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...out-of-the-box

Beans

Re: A petition to the Gnome Developers : Make Gnome Customisable Out of the Box again

Your best bet is Cinnamon.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: A petition to the Gnome Developers : Make Gnome Customisable Out of the Box again

Tried Cinnamon, Didn't like it sadly ;(

All the themes looked fugly in my eyes (with panel on bottom) and one top one bottom looked terrible too :s

I just don't know where to turn, I wish i could have good old gnome 2 back :'(

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moving to recurring discussions.

Have a look at Xfce (xubuntu). It's gnome2-like and very customizable. By default it has a top and bottom panel, but they can be moved and re-sized as you see fit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Honestly, I like the minimalist nature of Gnome Shell despite the fact that it's not as customizable. Work flow is great, it's fast, launching apps is even quicker than Unity, etc... If you want greater customization I think KDE and XFCE fill the gap nicely, I think Gnome should stick to their vision. I'd rather simply support XFCE if you liked the old Gnome...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I cannot yet see what makes xfce purpotedly a good gnome-2 replacement. Even the crippled out fallback gnome is better at that. It is a different DE.

gnome-shell is about as fast as compiz. Which means it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jman6495 View Post
    I hate to say it, But you've stopped listening to your userbase, thinking you know what's best for them, And that has upset a large number of them.
    Odd.

Because I love to say it.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's not much point petitioning gnome developers on ubuntuforums.org

http://www.gnome.org/foundation/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I wouldn't bother if I were you. If Linus Torvalds himself couldn't change their minds then I doubt there's much us mere mortals can do.

I suggest moving to another DE. I switched to Xfce and it feels great to have my desktop back. Let the GNOME devs chase their white whale.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why should Linus change their minds anyway. I would say that their purported target population is not hard core kernel programmers.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would say that the chances of a small thread in uf will make little discernable difference.

Post to gnome mailing lists.

This thread is just yet another let's have a whine and see who listens thread - take them where people will listen.

Closed.