Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspend Mode: High-pitch noise coming from bottom of laptop

Beans

Suspend Mode: High-pitch noise coming from bottom of laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron Ultrabook 14z (5423) with Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit installed. I have a fresh install, nothing extra, and all the latest updates as of 8/16/2012.

Upon putting the laptop in suspend mode, either by closing the lid or explicitly entering suspend mode, the laptop then emanates a high-pitch noise similar to the hum that the old CRT Televisions make sometimes.

I have pointed out the location of the noise in the screenshot attached.

This only happens in suspend, and the noise is actually louder when entering suspend when on battery power only, and softer when on AC power.

I have ran hardware diagnostics and that all checks out ok.

Anyone have any suggestions for what the problem might be, or possible solutions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Suspend Mode: High-pitch noise coming from bottom of laptop

What component is there? Maybe the CPU? This could be an indication that the laptop does not reach the intended power state and that there is still CPU activity. Are you sure that the laptop goes into suspend at all?

Beans

I believe that is where the RAM is located. I did do a hardware diagnostic on the RAM, and it checked out ok.

I am sure is goes into suspend, as indicated by the power light flashing (typical to other suspends), and everything does seem to "suspend" (i.e. no noise from fans, and monitor goes black).

Beans

Hi,

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook recently. I'm installing the 12.04 64 bits version of Ubuntu in a partition i created with Windows through a USB stick. When the installation gets to the "Installation type" window it gets stuck. I've tried to do it in differet ways but no solution so far.
    Have you had the same problem? I haven't done anything else with the computer as it is brand new and the first thing i tried was to install the Ubuntu...

I would much appreciate your help.

Beans

When I installed, I just installed Ubuntu over Windows. I installed the the 500GB harddrive.

Could be something with the ISO you are using. Do the md5 sums match? If they do, try burning the ISO to another CD/DVD and try the install again.

When you get it installed, try suspending and let me know if you get the same high-pitched hum that I described above. I would be interested to know if it is an issue, or just me :\

Beans

Ok

I'll try again this weekend. I wil let you know, if i'm able to install it, if i have the same noise...

Beans

Hi

I have been able to install Ubuntu succesfully. I've checked and i don't hear any special high pitch noise...

What i've realized is that the battery lasts no more than 1:30' , which is very dissappointing...

Beans

@querolus - Install this: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/jupiter-li...tml#more-13276

It absolutely makes a difference.

Thanks for your feedback on the topic as well

Beans

Well, i already installed Jupiter and did not find a significant difference... which is strange considering that you have the same computer...

Beans

I also have the same issue with sound coming from the bottom while in suspend.

If I am using the laptop I also get a continues static sound that can be heard from under the keyboard.

This is a new XPS Dell 13" with their 'Sputnik' image.

I will tonight install the Ubuntu image instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast