Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Internet with 12.04 on HP Pavilion P7

Beans

No Internet with 12.04 on HP Pavilion P7

I hope it is ok to ask this question here. I asked it at some place called askubuntu.com but there have been no answers.

I just bought an HP Pavilion P7-1235. After playing with Win7 for a few days I decided it would be best to put linux on it. I of course chose ubuntu 12.04.

During the install it complained about not having an Internet connection. There didn't seem to be any way to fix this so I let it go ahead and do the install without Internet.

Once installed, the main problem is that it doesn't seem to know there is a wired network card. Also while it seems to think there is a wireless card, it will not connect to my network. I really want the wired to work since you can only configure my router with a wired connection and this is the only computer near the router. However I'll settle for making the wireless work.

The wireless icon in the taskbar indicates no connection. When you right click and choose network management settings, it will not let you confgiure any wired connection. It will let you configure a wireless connection. However using it will not connect to my network (WPA2 Personal security, IPv4, everything else defaults).

What do I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No Internet with 12.04 on HP Pavilion P7

Usually it's the other way around. The wired network cards are mostly supported and you get wired internet working out-of-the-box.
    Then using that you can make your wireless card working if it didn't by default.

Are you sure it doesn't detect the wired card at all, or maybe only the settings are not correct and it can't use the internet? There is big difference between internet not working and the card not being detected at all.

You should be able to check all interfaces with something like:
    ifconfig -a
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

ifconfig -a

shows two interfaces:

lo and wlan0. Only lo has an inet addr (127.0.0.1).

What do I do now? Still no internet.

Beans
    Distro

You are right, it doesn't seem to detect any wired adapter.

What is wrong with connecting to the wireless? Where does it fail? When you click the networking icon top right, it should show you all detected wi-fi networks. If you are broadcasting your SSID your network should be there. Just click on it and it will ask you for the password. Enter it and that should be it.
    Darko.

Beans

It finds no networks to connect to (Win7 on that same box finds 5 as does my laptop). Just in case, I entered my network settings anyway and checked the connect automatically box. However it never connects.

I'm ok if I can get it to connect wirelessly, but I really wanted this to be the box that manages my router which requires a wired connection for that.

Beans
    Distro

If you open terminal and execute:
    lspci

That will show you the network cards detected (among other PCI devices). Then you can google if there are any known issues/solutions for your wired and wireless cards and ubuntu.

You can also post them in the Networking section of the forum and some networking expert might have an advice.
    Darko.

Beans

lspci gave a lot of info.

I think the relevant items were

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 08)

and

04:00.0 Network controler: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

Does this help any?

Beans
    Distro

This link says the driver for BCM43225 is the STA:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

Note the section how to install the STA driver with no internet access, not sure if it looks complicated or not to you. Basically it says you can use the ubuntu cd as a source.

This looks like the solution for the AR8161 ethernet but it assumes you already have a working internet access:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/16519...net-controller

Basically the AR8161 is so new that its driver is still not included in ubuntu.
    Darko.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It looks like you have a Catch-22. Both of these assume the other is working so you can download the drivers.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1970012

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16519...net-controller

Did liveCD work on your system? If so one or the other drive must be in liveCD?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Everyone thanks for the help so far. However I'm still without any network connection.

Using the infromation linked to above, I followed the instructions for installing the broadcom without Internet.

After booting up and logging in, I inserted the install disk. I did the following from the terminal

Code:
    cd /media/Kubuntu\ 12.04\ LTS\ amd64/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/ 
    sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter*
    As instructed, from a computer with Internet I downloaded files from openwrt.org and copied them to my home folder.
    In the same terminal I did

Code:
    cd
    tar jxvf broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
    sudo b43-fwcutter --unsupported -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mino.o
    The insturctions then said to to System->Administration->Hardware/Additional Drivers However I don't have such choices. There was System->Additional Drivers. Opening that gave an error about downloading failed and that drivers would not be available.

It listed no drivers what-so-ever.

I then rebooted, but still no drivers and no internet.

After rebooting I also tried
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb
    sudo modprobe b43
    They did not appear to do anything.

I'm still without any kind of Internet.

What can I do now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast