Thread: resolvconf, network-manager et al.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

resolvconf, network-manager et al.

Installed a brand new fresh 12.04 and network-manager is still cumbersome (and maybe still broken).

So as usual, I removed it

Working with /etc/network/interfaces is reliable and not that inconvenient (works all the time).

Now, resolvconf ( 8 ) just overwrote my /etc/resolv.conf settings.
    Well, it said it will, so I cannot really blame it.

But, come one, why the Ubuntu folks have to add a layer above /etc/resolv.conf? It was not simple enough?

Anyway, resolvconf is, also, removed.

Any comment / opinion?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: resolvconf, network-manager et al.

But, come one, why the Ubuntu folks have to add a layer above /etc/resolv.conf? It was not simple enough?
    It was indeed simple enough and often slow. For the everyday user, Network Manager and the new method involving dnsmasq are good.

You can make your DNS settings persistent with a new line in /etc/network/interfaces like this:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.108
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 192.168.1.1
    You can fine-tune the DNS nameservers you use with namebench, found in the Ubuntu repositories.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

dns-nameservers in /etc/network/interfaces is actually what I've been using (after resolvconf was gone).

This is good as it helps having the network configuration grouped together in one place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kleenux View Post
    dns-nameservers in /etc/network/interfaces is actually what I've been using (after resolvconf was gone).

This is good as it helps having the network configuration grouped together in one place.
    Without the resolvconf package, "dns-nameservers" options in /etc/network/interfaces have no effect. It is resolvconf that implements the dns-* options. So if you want to use those options, you had better re-install resolvconf.