Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot detect 2nd monitor

Beans

Re: Cannot detect 2nd monitor

Thanks will try that.

EDIT:
    Hmmm.... actually I think this is solved (for me at any rate) here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12276247

EDIT: That Nvidia control panel is a nightmare- I tried for hours and could not get two cloned monitors in operation!
    Last edited by CJ_Hudson; October 6th, 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Beans

Sorry to multiple post however I am still having difficulties.
    When I use the Nvidia GUI to try and set up the dual monitors, nothing happens even though I have all the settings correctly assignated.
    Using the built-in "Display" utility in Ubuntu when I click on "Mirror displays" I get my main monitor in a hopeless resolution. Have not checked what happe4ns to the other screen because it's in another room and I don't want to stick with these settings!
    I think my only option is to purge the proprietory driver and use the Nouveau one. Please could someone instruct/direct me to appropriate instructions? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The gnome "display" tool does not work with nVidia driver..except possibly for the latest version..
    Just don't use it..

When you install the nVidia driver you need to logout/login to activate (X server limitation).

If additional drivers offers an older version (175..xx) try that..
    I doubt the later driver makes any difference for the old cards.
    The 8400GS is bit limited by memory & clock speed & feature set A.
    VDPAU video decode recommends min 512MB.

From memory the clone screen requires twinview enabled..

Beans

Thankyou.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i am running 10.04.4, having trouble getting my current geforce 6200 working with ANY drivers. All the nvidia propreitary drivers result in my TV (vga hookup) into DPMS SUSPEND, so I trying to get teh nouveau driver to work since it works in 12.04.1 ubuntu from a live usb, its 1440x900

Anyway, back on topic. I ordered an 8400 gs from newegg last night, which drivers are you using with your GeForce 8400 GS? I will only need to power 1 display, an Olevia 23" TV which has a VGA port or an HDMI, I'll probably use the HDMI port because it will allow greater resolution I would think. Do you use HDMI?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Cannot detect 2nd monitor

I am using the proprietory drivers, but think I might try the noveau ones again if I could find out how to purge the prop. drivers.
    EDIT: Also, by the way, when I get a moment (v. busy right now with accountancy exams!) I am going to install 64 bit Ubuntu, so not sure which drivers are/aren't available there.
    Last edited by CJ_Hudson; December 20th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MogBug View Post
    I am using the proprietory drivers, but think I might try the noveau ones again if I could find out how to purge the prop. drivers.
    EDIT: Also, by the way, when I get a moment (v. busy right now with accountancy exams!) I am going to install 64 bit Ubuntu, so not sure which drivers are/aren't available there.
    using the nvidia gui, you need to make sure you start it with gksudo so it can write to the xorg.conf file. so it would be
    Code:
    gksudo nvidia-settings
    I gave up on the geforce 6200, i believe it was a hardware issue, overheating so I went with a 8400 GS and using the nvidia binary from their website, 310.19 and it's working great but I don't run a dual display like you.
    GOod luck

PS I am running xubuntu 12.04 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It can be a bad idea to launch apps as sudo; for one thing it changes the user home folder.
    nvidia-settings should prompt for the sudo password if & when it tries to save to xorg.conf..

Most people do not need any xorg.conf file & it can cause problems.

nvidia-settings needs "user" r/w access to 'home/"user"/.nvidia-settings-rc

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    It can be a bad idea to launch apps as sudo; for one thing it changes the user home folder.
    nvidia-settings should prompt for the sudo password if & when it tries to save to xorg.conf..

Most people do not need any xorg.conf file & it can cause problems.

nvidia-settings needs "user" r/w access to 'home/"user"/.nvidia-settings-rc
    i didn't say to launch it with sudo, i said to launch it with gksudo, when you make changes with nvidia-settings, you have to launch it with gksudo in order to write to the xorg.conf file otherwise it gives you a permission error when trying to save xorg.conf.

Beans

Well I installed 64 bit 12.04 and it's running sweet.
    However I still have a display problem- when I first booted both panels were at the resolution of the bigger of the two panels, causing chaos on my desktop. I had to physically unplug the bigger of the two panels to get it to work.
    Now I have just switched the bigger panel off completely. Is there a control panel for the Nouveau driver somewhere?
    EDIT:
    Oh yeah, also I forgot, when I boot, inbetween the splash screen with the Ubuntu logo and the log-in screen, I get random coloured lines across the screen (almost like you sometimes get whilst experimenting with overclocking a CPU but less intense. Just a few coloured lines in horizontal bars across the screen.) Not sure if this is because I had to unplug the 2nd monitor whilst installing 12.04 64-bit?)
    EDIT #2: Just to clairify the Gnome control panel does not allow a higher resolution than the standard for monitor #1 (1280 x 800,) which is the default for that monitor,) so of course when I clone the monitors I am effectively using a quarter of the available desktop in the smaller monitor, which makes the desktop unusable. There must be a way to set the bigger panel at a bigger resolution than the default? Or maybe the graphics card is just not capable of this.
    EDIT #3 Sorry about all these messy edits.
    Aha! I have now discovered the screen only goes into oversize mode whilst entering your machine password after booting up. I don't need to unplug anything, because once you have entered the password correctly, the screen reverts back to correct resolution and positioning, with the smaller of the two monitors as prime. (The other one is in the other room and I use it for watching You Tube videos etc.)

By the way Ubuntu 64 bit installed now with default Video driver.
    Last edited by CJ_Hudson; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast