I'm sure this must be covered somewhere and must be a very basic, but I have no idea how to do this.

I am running 10.04 "Lucid"

I am attempting to set up a new printer. It is a "Canon Color imageCLASS MF8380Cdw" multifunction color laser printer/scanner/fax/copier.

I first attempted to install the printer by using the "add printer" dialog under the System-->Administration-->Printing tab.

I told the dialog that I wanted to install a network printer and it did identify the printer which is hard wired to my wireless router and is already operational from my wife's windows computer.

Continuing through the dialog, my particular printer was not listed under Canon printers and using the driver search dialog returned no joy.

I ran a google search for "canon mf8380cdw linux", I found that canon does have a driver for this printer : Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V250_us_EN.tar.gz

I downloaded this file from
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...ersAndSoftware
and saved it on the desktop.

I extracted the file, and buried within a readme file I found a specification for a postscript printer description file (PPD). So I chose "provide ppd" and then navigated through the extracted files to the specified file "CNCPSMF8300CZS.PPD".

Selecting this file allowed me to move through the rest of the dialog until I received the following message:

"Missing driver"
"Printer 'Canon-MF8300C' requires the 'pstoufr2cpca' program but it is not currently installed. Please install it before using this printer."

So, going back to the extracted files, I do see this program, but I have no idea how to install it.

I am pretty certain that I am going about this all wrong, that what I need to do is probably run something from a shell prompt that will install the printer driver and the needed PPD file.

Obviously I would be grateful if someone would just tell me, step by step, what to do, but I would be even more grateful if someone would point me at an indepth article that actually explains what is required.

I've been using Ubuntu for 3 years now, but because Canonical has made it so darn easy, I still really don't grok Linux.