Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i buy System76's Lemur Ultra?

Beans

Question Should i buy System76's Lemur Ultra?

Should i buy System76's Lemur Ultra?

I've been wanting to buy the Lemur Ultra, but i've heard mixed reviews and i've heard that the battery life sucks. A lot.

Would you recommend that i buy it? Why?

Also, if i do buy it how should i configure it? I can only pay up to 830$

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Should i buy System76's Lemur Ultra?

Quote Originally Posted by YoussefElNahas View Post
    Should i buy System76's Lemur Ultra?

I've been wanting to buy the Lemur Ultra, but i've heard mixed reviews and i've heard that the battery life sucks. A lot.

Would you recommend that i buy it? Why?

Also, if i do buy it how should i configure it? I can only pay up to 830$
    I purchased the Lemur Ultra recently, and I am quite happy. I had an issue with the stock wireless card (there is a recent thread in here somewhere that discusses it), but I've been told that now the Lemur only comes with the wireless card that I am now using that fixed the issue I was having.

The battery life is not as good as the battery life I have with my small netbook that has only an SSD with no fan, but I wouldn't say it sucks. Also, in the upcoming versions of the Linux kernel are supposed to be some bug fixes and enhancements that really improve battery life.

I upgraded the RAM to 8 GB, but that's the only thing I did beyond stock configuration. I just configured my exact machine again, and it would be under $800.

Other than the battery life, I'm not sure what other issues you've heard in the mixed reviews you've read so I can't address them. I will say that I didn't even boot in to Ubuntu when I got it - I immediately wiped the drive and installed Xubuntu with the drives partitioned to my liking, so I can't tell you if Unity bogs the machine down or in some way mucks things up.

Anyway, I'm happy with it, and I'm specifically not unhappy with the battery life.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm obviously a bit biased, but one really great reason is that they're currently on sale! https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/lemur
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    I'm obviously a bit biased, but one really great reason is that they're currently on sale! https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/lemur
    Oh sweet~! Thanks Isantop and System76.

PS: You should have done that for Christmas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I JUST ordered the Lemur... and with the sale price. The 'new' stock config is all I wanted (with 4GB RAM). I hope the new version of the Lemur doesn't make me wish I waited a few weeks. Price was right though! Looking forward to getting it sometime next week.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does this mean there will be a new Lemur model coming out soon?

I may have time to stop in and see one, if you have one in the shop Monday, will keep you advised.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We will be having a new Lemur soon. What we're recommending is that if you want a screaming fast computer at a killer price, and don't mind not having the latest and greatest (trust me, the current Lemur will be plenty fast for quite a while), go for the current Lemur now. If you want to have the latest and greatest, and don't mind waiting and paying more, then you should wait for the new one.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

We will be having a new Lemur soon. What we're recommending is that if you want a screaming fast computer at a killer price, and don't mind not having the latest and greatest (trust me, the current Lemur will be plenty fast for quite a while), go for the current Lemur now. If you want to have the latest and greatest, and don't mind waiting and paying more, then you should wait for the new one.
    I could put it on plastic, but am not in that much of a hurry. Am expecting a couple of good sized checks soon, and would rather pay cash anyway.

My trusty white darter has been a real trooper for me, and I have no real "need" to buy a new one, it is showing it's age and the abuse of the TSA anymore, but still works like a champ.

Care to give any hints as to what the new Lemur will/might have? USB3? Drive options? CPU specs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by riseringseeker View Post
    Care to give any hints as to what the new Lemur will/might have? USB3? Drive options? CPU specs?
    We don't have any of that information yet. We should soon, but we don't have an exact ETA.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

We don't have any of that information yet. We should soon, but we don't have an exact ETA.
    Keep us posted (as you always do) and I'll probably end up buying one. Couldn't get to your office last week, timing just didn't work out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast