Thread: New User.. Questions related with Wifi, themes and wine

Beans

Smile New User.. Questions related with Wifi, themes and wine

Hello All,
    I installed latest version of ubuntu (precise pangolin...)on my sony vaio laptop (running on win7 previously). During the installation I faced some issues and found some workaround to fix them on this (and other forums).
    Through this post I want to understand following...
    > My wifi was not working... somewhere on net (forgot the link) I found that editing etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf will fix the issue. I followed the instruction and added "blacklist acer-wmi" to the file. On reboot it fix the wifi... so my question is what was wrong, and how it got fixed?
    > I use evernote and yahoo messenger a lot. But it seems to me that they do not have packages for ubuntu... then I came across WINE HQ.... I came to know that its just a emulator and using this I can install windows stuff on linux. So using wine I am able to use Y! msngr... (ever note still not working). My question is... should I use wine?? I mean will it degrade performance or any other issue?
    >Is there a way I can reduce size of launcher ? I can not do it below 31% as of now.
    >Last question for this post is... I am observing that left click of mouse is not that responsive now... may be not an issue... but I feel right click is responding normally... while left is a but slow. Any idea?

Thanks
    Vikrant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: New User.. Questions related with Wifi, themes and wine

Quote Originally Posted by vikkrraant View Post
    Hello All,
    I installed latest version of ubuntu (precise pangolin...)on my sony vaio laptop (running on win7 previously). During the installation I faced some issues and found some workaround to fix them on this (and other forums).
    > My wifi was not working... somewhere on net (forgot the link) I found that editing etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf will fix the issue. I followed the instruction and added "blacklist acer-wmi" to the file. On reboot it fix the wifi... so my question is what was wrong, and how it got fixed?
    > I use evernote and yahoo messenger a lot. But it seems to me that they do not have packages for ubuntu... then I came across WINE HQ.... I came to know that its just a emulator and using this I can install windows stuff on linux. So using wine I am able to use Y! msngr... (ever note still not working). My question is... should I use wine?? I mean will it degrade performance or any other issue?
    >Is there a way I can reduce size of launcher ? I can not do it below 31% as of now.
    >Last question for this post is... I am observing that left click of mouse is not that responsive now... may be not an issue... but I feel right click is responding normally... while left is a but slow. Any idea?

Thanks
    Vikrant
    Hey Buddy! Welcome to the forums!

Not sure why the wireless fix worked.. will need someone with more know how than me to explain.

for yahoo messenger, there is a free messenger in ubuntu that can connect to it called pidgin. its in the software center.. see if it does the job for you.

To use evernote you will need wine. Fortunately wine is not an emulator.. its called a 'comparability layer'.. and its name is actually a recursive name that stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". So there isnt much of a decline in performance, and you will only notice it in the app itself (if even), not the rest of your system..

get 'myUnity' from the software center, it should allow more customisation of you launcher.. or in the appearance settings you could enable auto-hide, then you wont need to worry much about its size..

no idea about the mouse.. perhaps someone else will know..
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vikkrraant View Post
    Hello All,

Thanks
    Vikrant
    For the last one, try to change another mouse. if it's still not working, it is a software problem and please report a bug. If it's working, it's your original mouse's problem, change it!

Beans

androssofer,
    thanks for explanation on wine... it surely makes a difference when u know more about the stuff u know.
    I will keep exploring on wifi issue... and will update. Will start exploring myUnity as well.
    smartboyhw,
    I will try with different mouse... but as it is a laptop I will try to see how can I get the musedpad working .

I have few more questions though... will raise in a new thread with a proper title.
    Thanks for your reply.