Thread: Switching users (blank screen on logging out)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Switching users (blank screen on logging out)

Hello all.

Single boot. Single user. Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick. 6GB RAM. i7 processor. Plenty of HD space (1.75TB).

I've got a peculiar problem that must have been dealt with any number of times, but I can't find out how to solve it.

I've got two user accounts set up, both of them mine. If I go into the second account and then log out, I get a blank screen with no visible way out. to avoid this I have to switch back to the primary account and shut down from there.

Is there a way out of the blank screen short of cutting the power?

Is there a way of logging out of the second account and returning to the primary one? What I mean here is that the secondary account still shows a green tick after switching back to the primary.

Not a serious problem, but I'd like to know what to do about it.

Please keep the language simple. I don't understand much of the terminology yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Switching users (blank screen on logging out)

I just added a second user on here to try this out. This is a 10.10 install.

I gather that when you are logging in as the second user, you are not logging out the first one, but changing user.

As far as I can see, what should happen is that when you log out the second user, you should see the same password request box that you get when you wake up the computer from suspend, or from when the screen has bee locked.

I assume you have tried randomly pushing keys on the keyboard and moving the mouse and all of that when you see the black screen?
    Michael

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that, audiomick, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

You're right that I'm staying logged in on the main account when I switch to the second "user". If I then switch back to the the main "user", there's no problem, but if I try to log out from the second user account, I get the blank screen with no apparent way out, short of cutting the power, which I don't like to do.

I know now to switch back to the main account before doing anything else, but I'd like to be able to properly log out.

I don't use suspend, so don't know what would happen there. I don't get the password screen on log-out, only to switch users.

When I subsequently shut down, I get the password box inviting me to switch users, but have to use the symbol in the bottom right corner to shut down.

I hope that makes sense. I'm a bit rushed today. Sorry.

Nearly overlooked your link. I'll check it out as soon as I get time.

Beans

I have the same issue.

Beans
    Distro

BUMP.

(Does that work on here?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yes, a bump does work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney-R View Post
    I know now to switch back to the main account before doing anything else, but I'd like to be able to properly log out.
    As I indicated in my post, that is what should happen. I'm buggered if I know why it isn't working for you. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro

Thanks at least for trying, Michael (audiomick). I've installed Maverick at least three times on two machines, and it's always the same, so perhaps it's a bug.

I'm planning to install 12.04, initially as a dual-boot (with 10.10) when I can find the time, so it will be interesting to find out what happens then.

I can't say when that will be though.