Thread: Not running right on my netbook.

Beans

Not running right on my netbook.

I have an acer aspire one 522 with 2gb ram and the latest lubuntu does not boot properly. It either shows the lubuntu logo with the dots below it and then a blank screen or it only shows half of the screen the bottom half being occupied by either the dots from the start up screen or the command line thing from recovery mode.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Not running right on my netbook.

Are you getting any error messages?
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans

No error messages pop up but a black screen with some text pops up for fraction of a second after the start up page. I couldn't tell you what it said.

Beans

I fixed it sort off. I have to start it in recovery mode then login then log out then login again and sometimes I have to log in twice because a second login screen pops up wirh a computer with a flame in front of it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Judging by the symptoms, it looks like you have Intel's infamous GMA500 inside. Verify that by ruuning lspci | grep VGA. If correct, check out the wiki:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Judging by the symptoms, it looks like you have Intel's infamous GMA500 inside. Verify that by ruuning lspci | grep VGA. If correct, check out the wiki:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo
    so how do i know if i have a GMA500. I put that into the termiinal and got this

"william@ubuntu:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)"

The computer monitor with the flame is something I did. It hasn't happened since unless I shut the netbook which is what I wanted it to do.
    Last edited by williamwhite; July 3rd, 2012 at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Intel's gma500 has been codenamed Poulsbo, and you definitely have it.

Beans

so can i do anything to fix it

edit: I ran "sudo service lightdm restart" and it works, once. Is there a way I can permanently add that to the boot thing, so that it automatically does it every boot up
    Last edited by williamwhite; July 6th, 2012 at 02:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by williamwhite View Post
    so can i do anything to fix it

edit: I ran "sudo service lightdm restart" and it works, once. Is there a way I can permanently add that to the boot thing, so that it automatically does it every boot up
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...console.3Dtty1

Or, better IMO, install a newer kernel

http://packages.qa.dev.stgraber.org/...6265/downloads
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

I installed the new kernel and it does not work at all just a black screen. Have to boot twice and then choose old versions and choose the old one. Also after looking for a battery and ram for it i found it was a aspire one za3/751h if that changes anything.