Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 Post Install SWAP Issue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question 12.04 Post Install SWAP Issue...

I've added 12.04 three times now.
    Triple boot on an old desktop w/ Vista(which has serious issues), 10.04LTS, and 12.04LTS.
    Dual boot along side 10.04.
    And, on a new laptop with Windows 7, as dual boot.

The issue I have is that the swap for the 12.04 always shows as 'unknown'.
    I discovered on the dual boot with 10.04, that if I delete the 'unknown' partition, or format it to swap (even though, only one swap can be shared with more than 1 Ubuntu), it will destroy the grub; and make the computer un-bootable. Thus, the 12.04 will have to be removed altogether.

So, does anyone out there have this issue, or have an idea why I'm having it?
    I'm posting a gparted screenshot of the laptop Windows7/12.04LTS dual boot.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hank22077; August 16th, 2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: forgot screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: 12.04 Post Install SWAP Issue...

Quote Originally Posted by hank22077 View Post
    I've added 12.04 three times now.
    Triple boot on an old desktop w/ Vista(which has serious issues), 10.04LTS, and 12.04LTS.
    Dual boot along side 10.04.
    And, on a new laptop with Windows 7, as dual boot.

The issue I have is that the swap for the 12.04 always shows as 'unknown'.
    I discovered on the dual boot with 10.04, that if I delete the 'unknown' partition, or format it to swap (even though, only one swap can be shared with more than 1 Ubuntu), it will destroy the grub; and make the computer un-bootable. Thus, the 12.04 will have to be removed altogether.

So, does anyone out there have this issue, or have an idea why I'm having it?
    I'm posting a gparted screenshot of the laptop Windows7/12.04LTS dual boot.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Hank,
    The swap partition has nothing to do with GRUB or the boot sector. It is just a disk partition that acts as a virtual RAM when run out of physical RAM. From your screenshot, GRUB should be in "/dev/sda5/". If you have enough RAM, then you could technically not even have a swap partition (swap is not required).
    What probably happened is that somewhere in the Ubuntu installer the swap partition got deleted. I am pretty sure that it is safe for you to format "/dev/sda6" as swap without any issues.
    Also, it is good practice to create a new thread (like this one) instead of writing posts on already started threads
    Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more help.
    Last edited by jualin; August 22nd, 2012 at 04:41 AM.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro

Re: 12.04 Post Install SWAP Issue...

Thank you, jualin, the swap must have somehow been deleted, yes.
    But, somehow, trying to format the swap does mess up my grub;
    and, I tried to install grub on dev/sda5, but wasn ´t ´allowed´.
    I had to install in the windows base, which, I guess, is the problem with trying to format swap.
    I really have no clue.
    Also, I thought if I posted in earlier threads it would be easier to get help; and didn´t want to post an ´unnecessary´ new thread.

Thank you, very much

Beans
    Distro

That's weird that you can't install GRUB on sda5. Have you tried using Boot-Repair.
    You can install within Ubuntu using "option 2" (from the link).
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    That should install GRUB and then hopefully you can format the swap partition using GParted.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    That's weird that you can't install GRUB on sda5. Have you tried using Boot-Repair.
    You can install within Ubuntu using "option 2" (from the link).
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    Thanks, I´ll try that; and, let you get some rest.
    Appreciate the help.

Beans
    Distro

Well, jualin, I still haven´t tried Boot-Repair.
    I´ve been having issues deciding which flavor of Ubuntu 12.04 I wanna upgrade to on my old desktop, cuz of some compatibility issues (posted elsewhere); anyway, I tried the minimalCD install on it and used the dev/ partition I used to install for grub, and it would not boot. I had to reinstall (dual-boot w/Vista) w/grub on the main Windows OS partion

Therefore, since I do have plenty of RAM I´m a bit scared to try...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hank22077 View Post
    Well, jualin, I still haven´t tried Boot-Repair.
    I´ve been having issues deciding which flavor of Ubuntu 12.04 I wanna upgrade to on my old desktop, cuz of some compatibility issues (posted elsewhere); anyway, I tried the minimalCD install on it and used the dev/ partition I used to install for grub, and it would not boot. I had to reinstall (dual-boot w/Vista) w/grub on the main Windows OS partion

Therefore, since I do have plenty of RAM I´m a bit scared to try...
    Hey Hank,
    Do not be scared. The worst that can happen is for you to have to reinstall. Just make sure you have a backup of your files before you try anything. I am pretty sure that boot-repair will fix the grub. I have always had excellent experiences with it. It has never failed me. Let us know how everything goes.

Beans
    Distro

Alrighty,then...lol. I´ll give her a go

Beans
    Distro

Well, I did have to reinstall. I dont understand why I seem to be the only 1 w/ this issue.
    I've had it with every computer I've dual-booted w/ Windows, whether Vista or 7.

On 10.04 the swap was added, but 12.04 always shows it as unrecognized;
    and, neither release allows me to install grub except on main windows boot, so the boot repair wont work for me.

I'm posting my latest gparted screenshot.
    However, since I do have plenty of RAM, I wnt worry too much over the swap issue. Ubuntu runs just fine, so I reckon I'm good.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

That sounds really weird that it shows on 10.04 but not on 12.04. Since you haven't experienced any major issues I think that you should be ok. I can't think of anything else. Boot-repair has never failed me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast