Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu on an old Dell Inspiron 2500 - Install issue

Beans

Lubuntu on an old Dell Inspiron 2500 - Install issue

I successfully put Lubuntu on an old desktop computer of mine so that gave me the courage to try my old laptop:

Dell Inspiron 2500 (circa 2001)
    Celeron 700Mhz
    318MB RAM (512MB max)
    Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
    LCD screen - 1024x768
    DVD-RW drive
    CD-ROM drive
    D-Link DWL-650+ PCMCIA wireless adapter
    currently running Windows XP

Due to the age and low RAM I used the same Alternate Install disc that I successfully used for the desktop. BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive. I insert the disc, reboot and get the following prompts:

Language - select English
    Select "Install Lubuntu"
    All seems normal, the CD spins up but I get the following:

Undefined video mode number: 314
    Press <Enter> to see video modes available, <Space> to continue or wait 30 sec.
    I've tried almost every combination of options possible here. All result in a blank, black screen with a flashing cursor:

- I've hit Enter and tried every video mode 0-6
    - I've hit the space bar
    - I've waited well over an hour for a couple of the video options
    - I've tried using "nomodeset"

All result in the black screen with the cursor.

I'm searching the error in the forum and across Google but if anyone can offer a suggestion, I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

Beans

Re: Lubuntu on an old Dell Inspiron 2500 - Install issue

You could always try downloading the iso file and make a new live cd. Does the cd allow you to run a live session? you specs seem fine to me but hey, im no expert

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi zuren;
    Here is one possiblity to try... on you kernel command line:
    Code:
    vga=normal
    reference this site:
    http://gusantov.blogspot.com/2008/05...de-number.html

responses indicate it works!

HTH <==BDQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

you can also try a live-usb instead of cd.

or wubi inside XP.

old CD rom drives tend to fail a lot.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kickinthedoor View Post
    You could always try downloading the iso file and make a new live cd. Does the cd allow you to run a live session? you specs seem fine to me but hey, im no expert
    The Alternate Install disc does not have the option to try Lubuntu first. I could make a new one.

Hi zuren;
    Here is one possiblity to try... on you kernel command line:
    Code:
    vga=normal
    reference this site:
    http://gusantov.blogspot.com/2008/05...de-number.html

responses indicate it works!
    HTH <==BDQ
    I did some searching on this and found additional info supporting the method. I replaced "vga=788" in the command line (pressing F6) with "vga=normal". The result is the same, a black screen with cursor but the "314 error" message is gone.

I even removed the 64MB stick of RAM, leaving the single 256MB stick wondering if the mismatch might be causing an issue. Same result.

old CD rom drives tend to fail a lot.
    I won't rule it out but I don't have reason to believe the CD drive is bad. It was reading other discs as well as browsing this install disc just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you could try an older kernel (for example from 10.04).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Many years ago I had a 2550 I installed ubuntu to - but that was a long time ago. About 1 year ago I picked up a couple Dell's real cheap and one was another 2550. Ubuntu did run on it as well, but again, an older version. The only thing that comes to mind is I *think* I had to boot with either noapic or something like apci=off otherwise I seem to remember having a similar problem. I did, however, have both max'd out at 512mb of memory.

Beans

When you first booted the CD did you run "check disc for defects"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi ,
    you could always try the Lubuntu 10.04 , I think is lighter. (compared to Lubuntu 12.04)

Download it from here --> http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1004...lable-download

Be aware that Lubuntu 10.04 or 12.04 is not LTS version so in 10.04 you will have an older LXDE version and Ubuntu 10.04 (which Lubutu based) will end of life in about 9 months.

Aggregated : You will have a supported - updated Ubuntu version (for 9 months) with an outdated LXDE environment (and packages followed LXDE , e.g: leafpad , lxdm , PCmanFM).
    I think it is a good choice.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    Many years ago I had a 2550 I installed ubuntu to - but that was a long time ago. About 1 year ago I picked up a couple Dell's real cheap and one was another 2550. Ubuntu did run on it as well, but again, an older version. The only thing that comes to mind is I *think* I had to boot with either noapic or something like apci=off otherwise I seem to remember having a similar problem. I did, however, have both max'd out at 512mb of memory.
    This worked! I switched to "vga=normal" in the command line, chose "apci=off" and Lubuntu installed. As a newbie, I was a little afraid to randomly try different install modes without knowing what they do.

There are 2 things that I may need to straighten out now:

1. My PCMCIA wireless card was not deteched nor was the onboard wired network card (modem/ethernet). I don't care about the PCMCIA card. I just used the USB wireless adapter that I'm using on the Lubuntu desktop and it connected to my network. This is an extra/beater computer for the garage so it isn't critical that it is connected to the network all the time. However, I will be looking into getting the wired connection recognized.

2. The display looks great at the login screen. After login, the desktop has concentric circles starting at the middle of the screen. I had the same thing on my desktop before I was able to switch to the graphics card with a DVI connection. The system is functional but I'm sure there is a setting that needs to be tweaked to make it look better.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by zuren; August 16th, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast