Thread: Hanging at MPT Boot ROM Successfully installed

Beans

Hanging at MPT Boot ROM Successfully installed

I have a Dell Precision 690 with a hardware RAID 1 installed. 4 disks (2x 160 Gb system and 2x 2Tb data). One of the 2 Tb drives had a cable that was slightly unplugged. I noticed a few days back that the SAS utility was reporting RAID degraded.

I was running out of RAM because of the Tomcat server so I purchased new RAM and installed today. While I was there, reseated my drive cables as well. The BIOS recognized the new RAM and recognized that the previously unplugged drive was back but the machine boots and hangs at:
    MPT Boot ROM Successfully installed
    I have tried removing the RAM and while the system recognizes the changed configuration it still hangs. I am certain it is not the new RAM. I tried powering down and unplugging the drive that had the bad cable connection and the SAS utility reports a degraded RAID but my system still hangs.

How can I fix this?

Ubuntu server 12.04
    64bit
    Last edited by flycast; August 14th, 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Editing for clarity - why I added RAM

Beans

Re: Hanging at MPT Boot ROM Successfully installed

I think what is happening here is the secondary RAID drive is being rebuilt. This RAID controller does not have hot swap capability.
    Ahhh patience...
    All men commend patience, although few are willing to practice it.
    Thomas Kempis

Beans

Nope. Raid is rebuilt and it still hangs at
    Dell Corp. MPT boot ROM successfully installed.
    Any ideas?

Beans

Dell thinks it is the RAID controller. I don;t. I ran the GRUB repair utility and it is seeing all the drives. It does not see an OS on the root drive.

Here is a link to the GRUB repair results:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1149235/

Any help would be appreciated, I really need to get this back up and running.

Beans

Fixed. I used the GRUB repair utility. When the RAID disk rebuilt it must have messed up my boot records.