Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Toshiba Portege R500 3G Mobile Broadband Modem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Howto: Toshiba Portege R500 3G Mobile Broadband Modem

Update 5: Just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin). The old patches are not working anymore for 2.6.35-32-generic kernel (and probably following versions). Using the patch here (http://schwieters.org/toshset/toshib...-current.patch) and the method of recompilation in "Update 2" below, I've recompiled the toshiba_apci module, and it's attached here as "toshiba_acpi.ko.patched4.zip"

Update 4: The second attached toshiba_apci patch is not working anymore for 2.6.35-32-generic kernel (and probably following versions). I've found a fixed patch here: http://schwieters.org/pipermail/tosh...ry/000035.html and I've recompiled the toshiba_apci module, using the same method explained in Update2 below, and it's attached here as "toshiba_acpi.ko.patched3.zip"

If you would like to do the recompilation yourself, you can follow the steps in Update 2 below but you will need to change step 3 as follows:
    First, download the attached toshiba_acpi_2.36.patch.txt then copy it to /usr/src/toshiba_acpi-current.patch

3)
    Code:
    sudo cp <DOWNLOADED PATCH FILE LOCATION>/toshiba_acpi_2.36.patch.txt /usr/src/toshiba_acpi-current.patch
    Then continue with steps 4 onward in Update 2.

Update 3: The first attached toshiba_apci patch is not working anymore for 2.6.35-30-generic kernel (and probably following versions). I've recompiled the toshiba_apci module, using the same method explained in Update2 below, and it's attached here as "toshiba_acpi.ko.patched2.zip"

Update 2: The modem was supported in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. Unfortunately, in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat the support was dropped from kernel 2.6.35-25-generic by the team working on drive toshiba_apci (More details here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...et/+bug/644898)

From that post Tomas Orgis says:
    I see that the toshiba_acpi -dev patch has been intentionally dropped, see https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ke...ne/011112.html . Andy wrote:
    Quote: I therefore suggest we drop this patch and see if anyone notices.
    Well, I do notice. There is no way anymore to disable the backlight on this nice transflective screen -- or is there an alternative to toshset yet? Please re-integrate that patch.

The solution to this is to apply a patch to toshiba_acpi and recompile the driver as explained below (this is taken from the link above by Mark van den Berg and Mark Crompton):

Long Solution:

1) Get ubuntu kernel source package (in this case it's linux-source-2.6.35) and kernel building tools packages
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.35
    sudo apt-get install kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot wget bzip2

2)
    Code:
    cd /usr/src

3)

4)
    Code:
    sudo tar -jxf linux-source-2.6.35.tar.bz2

5)
    Code:
    cd linux-source-2.6.35

6)
    Code:
    sudo patch -p1 < ../toshiba_acpi-current.patch

7)
    Code:
    cd drivers/platform/x86/

8) I only wanted to build the toshiba_acpi module. So I commented out all the other modules from the Makefile. Using sudo make a backup copy of the Makefile, then edit the Makefile to only build the toshiba_acpi module. Just put # in front of the other modules.
    Code:
    sudo cp Makefile Makefile.backup
    sudo gedit Makefile

9)
    Code:
    sudo make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` M=`pwd` modules

10)
    Code:
    sudo make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` M=`pwd`modules_install

11)
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a

12) Driver should be into /lib/modules/*/extra/toshiba_acpi. Copy the file toshiba_acpi.ko to /lib/modules/*/extra (replace * with your current kernel version).
    Code:
    sudo cp /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.ko.backup
    sudo cp /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/extra/toshiba_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.ko

remove the old module:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod toshiba_acpi

and load the new module:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe toshiba_acpi

(or simply reboot)
    Short solution:
    If you don't want to recompile I've done the recompile using kenel 2.6.35-25-generic so you can download the toshiba_acpi.ko.patched from the attachements and do the following:
    Code:
    sudo cp /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.ko /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.ko.backup
    sudo  cp toshiba_acpi.ko.patched  /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/toshiba_acpi.ko

remove the old module:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod toshiba_acpi

and load the new module:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe toshiba_acpi

(or simply reboot)

Update:
    This modem is supported out-of-the-box in Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. You only need to use "sudo toshset -3g on" to switch it on and then use the Network Manager to connect/disconnect.

Toshiba Portege R500 (and probably R600) comes with a built-in 3G HSDPA modem. Unfortunately, this does not run out of the box with ubuntu 9.04. I expect that it will run flawlessly with ubuntu 9.10.

So until then, here is a step by step guide on how to make the 3G modem run for ubuntu 9.04. Users of other distributions can also use this guide with minor changes.

Hardware Specs:
    The modem is a Novatel Expedite EU870D MiniCard but re-branded by Toshiba as Toshiba Wireless Broadband (3G HSDPA) SM-Bus Minicard Status Port.

Output of lsusb for the device is:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0930:1302 Toshiba Corp. Wireless Broadband (3G HSDPA) SM-Bus Minicard Status Port

I am not an expert and most of the credit goes to "vals / spleen.leveller" and "Anssi Saari"who gave me the main leads on how to resolve this. http://www.novatelwireless.com/index...d=305&catid=18 http://groups.google.com/group/comp....3fb94d5fa887dd

Step one: (Enable switching the modem on and off)
    Toshset version 1.75 brings support for switching on the 3G modem.

Option One (Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic repository):
    Download the new version of toshset from ubuntu 9.10 Karmic repositories and install it.
    Code:
    wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/toshset/1.75-1/+build/1089833/+files/toshset_1.75-1_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i toshset_1.75-1_i386.deb
    Option Two (binary from toshset developers site)

Code:
    wget http://www.schwieters.org/toshset/toshset.gz
    gunzip toshset.gz
    sudo cp  toshset /usr/bin/toshset
    Now you can toggle the 3g modem on and off by using this command:
    Code:
    sudo toshset -3g on
    sudo toshset -3g off
    Step two: (Make the 3G recognized as a Mobile Broadband Modem)

To get the modem to be recognized you will need to patch the "option" module and recompile the kernel (Long solution). If you do not want to recompile the kernel, you can download the modified option.ko that I have attached and replace your current file (Short solution).

Short solution:
    (If you are not using ubuntu, most probably this will not work for you)

Download the patched binary of option module "option.ko.patched" from this thread's attachments. This was compiled on my laptop using ubuntu 9.04 kernel 2.6.28-13-generic.
    Code:
    sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko.orig

unzip option.ko.patched.zip

sudo cp option.ko.patched /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko
    Now we want to make sure the option module is going to be loaded automatically when we reboot. First check if it is not already being loaded.

Code:
    lsmod | grep option
    If the option module is already loaded you will see output similar to the following:

option 28292 0
    usbserial 39656 1 option
    If you don't see "option" in the output, then add the option module by running the following commands:

Code:
    sudo /bin/bash

echo "option" >> /etc/modules
    Reboot now and scroll down to "Final Touches"

Long Solution:
    Most of the linux compilation guide is copied from "The Geek" founder of "How-To Geek". This is a link to the original article: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...ubuntu-kernel/

Re-compiling the kernel:
    Getting needed packages:
    The linux source code, the curses library and some other tools need to be installed to help us compile .
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source-2.6.17 kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot
    the source will be installed to the /usr/src directory in as a compressed file.

To make things easier, we’ll put ourselves in root mode by using sudo to open a new shell. There’s other ways to do this, but I prefer this way.

Code:
    sudo /bin/bash
    Now change directory into the source location so that we can install. Note that you may need to install the bunzip utility if it’s not installed.

Code:
    cd /usr/src

echo $(uname -r) | bunzip2 linux-source-$(cut -c -6).tar.bz2

echo $(uname -r) | tar xvf linux-source-$(cut -c -6).tar

echo $(uname -r) | ln -s linux-source-$(cut -c -6) linux

Patching the option module:

(based on Michele Valzelli and Greg Kroah-Hartman work here: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg18847.html)

Code:
    cp /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/serial/option.c /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/serial/option.c.orig

gedit /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/serial/option.c
    Ctrl+F and find this string "#define NOVATELWIRELESS_PRODUCT_EU870D"

Insert a new line after the EXPEDITE PRODUCTS section and add the following text:

Code:
    /* TOSHIBA PRODUCTS */
    #define TOSHIBA_VENDOR_ID            0x0930
    #define TOSHIBA_PRODUCT_HSDPA_MINICARD        0x1302
    Ctrl+F and find this string "{ USB_DEVICE(0x1da5, 0x4515) }, /* BenQ H20 */" insert a new line after this line and paste the following:

Code:
       { USB_DEVICE(TOSHIBA_VENDOR_ID, TOSHIBA_PRODUCT_HSDPA_MINICARD ) }, /* Toshiba 3G HSDPA == Novatel Expedite EU870D MiniCard */
    save the file and close it.

Configure the New kernel:
    Make a copy of your existing kernel configuration to use for the custom compile process. Note that the ` character is the one below the tilde ~

Code:
    cp /boot/config-`uname -r` /usr/src/linux/.config
    Now we will launch the utility that will let us customize the kernel:

Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux

make menuconfig
    First, go down to Load an Alternate Configuration File, and load the .config file. (just hit enter)

Hit Exit and save the configuration when prompted.

Compile the kernel:
    Now we are ready for compile. First we’ll do a make clean, just to make sure everything is ready for the compile.

Code:
    make-kpkg clean
    Next we’ll actually compile the kernel. This will take a LONG FREAKING TIME, so go find something interesting to do.

Code:
    fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers
    This process will create two .deb files in /usr/src that contain the kernel. The linux-image**** file is the actual kernel image, and the other file contains the headers. You can install both with dpkg. The filenames will probably be different on your system.

Please note that when you run these next commands, this will set the new kernel as the new default kernel. This could break things! If your machine doesn’t boot, you can hit Esc at the GRUB loading menu, and select your old kernel. You can then disable the kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst or try and compile again.

Code:
    dpkg -i linux-image-*-custom_*-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

dpkg -i linux-headers-*-custom_*-custom-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
    Now reboot your machine. If everything works, you should be running your new custom kernel. You can check this by using uname. Note that the exact number will be different on your machine.

Code:
        uname -r

2.6.28.9-ubuntu1-custom
    Final Touches

Now if you click on the Network Manager Applet you will find that the Mobile Broadband modem is recognized. In my case it is recognized as two modems which forces nm-applet to put the full name of the modem "Toshiba Wireless Broadband (3G HSDPA) SM-Bus Minicard Status Port". I hope this will be fixed with ubuntu 9.10. This problem is ok with me as long as I can connect now in full speed.

To connect, you will need first to run this command
    Code:
    sudo toshset -3g on
    You will see the 3G modem indicator light switched on. Now you can click on the Network Manager icon and if you have two entries for the modem choose the upper one (that's the one that works for me)

To make things easier, I have written a script that will toggle the 3g modem on and off and created a launcher icon for it in my pannel. I have also created a keyboard short cut for it.

Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/bin/3g-toggle
    paste the following in the new file:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    modem_status=$(gksudo "toshset -3g")
    echo $modem_status | grep "on"
    if [[ $? -eq 0 ]] ; then
        gksudo "toshset -3g off"
    else
        gksudo "toshset -3g on"
    fi
    save the file and close it then make it executable:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/3g-toggle
    Now right-click on any free space on your panels and choose "Add to panel..." then double-click on "Custom Application Launcher" and create it as follows:

Type: Application
    Name: Toggle 3G Modem
    Command: 3g-toggle
    Comment: Toggle 3G Modem on and off

press on the icon to choose a meaningful icon then press Close to save your new launcher.

You can also have a keyboard shortcut to toggle the 3G on and off by going to System => Preferences => Keyboard Shortcuts. Press "Add" then write "Toggle 3G Modem" as the name and 3g-toggle as the command. A new shortcut will be created under "Custom Shortcuts" named "Toggle 3G Modem". Click on the word "Disabled" and when you see "New shortcut.." press the keyboard combination of your choice. Then press "Close".

Important Note:
    The patched "option" kernel module will be lost on every kernel upgrade whether you used the long solution or the short solution above.
    To fix this you either repeat "Step Two" or just copy the patched binary (option.ko) from your previous kernel to the new one.

For example when I upgraded today from kernel 2.6.28-13-generic to 2.6.28-14-generic I followed the following steps:

Code:
    sudo rmmod option
    sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko.orig
    sudo cp /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/
    sudo modprobe -i option
    Logout and login and you are done (or just restart nm-applet).

If you used the Long solution for patching, the location of the patched module will be in /lib/modules/2.6.*custom*/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko
    so you will need to adjust the commands accordingly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hamidaddin; May 4th, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added a patch for Ubuntu 12.04 (kernel 3.2.0-24-generic)

Beans

Re: Howto: Toshiba Portege R500 3G Mobile Broadband Modem

Nice How to. It took a while but worked for my Toshiba M700 with 9.04.

now my wireless broadband has stopped working... Modem light comes on, but when I click on GSM in Network Manager it tries to connect, then says "GSM dissconected"

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot?

Also every package I install after the recompile says "errors found, type 1" but everything seems to work... is this normal, and can i fix it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by balingupjer View Post
    now my wireless broadband has stopped working... Modem light comes on, but when I click on GSM in Network Manager it tries to connect, then says "GSM dissconected"
    Was it working before? What can you see in the list of available connections (Network Manager applet)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by hamidaddin View Post
    Was it working before? What can you see in the list of available connections (Network Manager applet)?
    I have the same problem with a toshiba r500. With the solution above it was working very well on 9.04, but after updating to 9.10 I have the problem described above... a solution for this problem will be very much appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Can you please explain your problem more?

Do you see your 3G modem/ISP in the Network Manager list? If so what happens when you try to connect.

In my case the 3g modem of Toshiba Portege R500 works out-of-the-box with ubuntu 9.10. You need to make sure that you are swiching the modem on by using the "sudo toshset -3g on" command as explained in the first post. you will see the blue 3g indicator light going on, just next to the yellow wifi indicator light below the touchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi!
    Thanks very much for your reply!

Can you please explain your problem more?

Do you see your 3G modem/ISP in the Network Manager list?
    Yes, it appears (even before I swicth on with "sudo toshset -3g on")... and I have my ISP connection configured (with the same configuration I had before with 9.04 - I have already remade it after the updating, just in case).

If so what happens when you try to connect.
    So after I'm swiching on the modem ("sudo toshset -3g on") the blue light start blinking, but when I click on my ISP from Network Manager list, it returns the message "the GSM network is now disconnected" (the precise message is in portuguese) and nothing happens next...

Thanks!

In my case the 3g modem of Toshiba Portege R500 works out-of-the-box with ubuntu 9.10. You need to make sure that you are swiching the modem on by using the "sudo toshset -3g on" command as explained in the first post. you will see the blue 3g indicator light going on, just next to the yellow wifi indicator light below the touchpad.

Beans
    Distro

If you have dual boot to windows, does it work in Windows?
    Otherwise, if you have a live CD of ubuntu, can you try to boot it and connect?

If we both have the same laptops and configuration, we should have the same results. I suspect that maybe the signal is weak?

Please try and let me know..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you have dual boot to windows, does it work in Windows?
    Otherwise, if you have a live CD of ubuntu, can you try to boot it and connect?

If we both have the same laptops and configuration, we should have the same results. I suspect that maybe the signal is weak?

Please try and let me know..
    It works well on windows (vista)!

Meanwhile I burned a 9.10 CD and tried... I obtained precisely the same problem!

Regarding the signal, it is "good" (as on windows is indicated -- on a mobile phone I have all the dashes!)...

Beans
    Distro

That's very strange. The only thing I can think of now is that there is a problem is the provider's configuration file.

In my case, the provider is called STC. I boot the live CD and select it out of the country's list, run the toshset command and connect with no problems.

So, maybe the default configuration of your provider is not right?

try looking at it by opening gconf-editor and searching for "apn" (choose "search also in key names").

This is the best I can think of. I hope someone with more knowledge can help you out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That's very strange. The only thing I can think of now is that there is a problem is the provider's configuration file.

In my case, the provider is called STC. I boot the live CD and select it out of the country's list, run the toshset command and connect with no problems.

So, maybe the default configuration of your provider is not right?

try looking at it by opening gconf-editor and searching for "apn" (choose "search also in key names").
    It found no entry with this searching...
    However I decide to remove the pin code from the sim card and... it began working!!!
    Many thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast