Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy installing gimp

i'v dowloaded gimp-2.8.0.tar.bz2, moved it to a folder made by me
    how do i install it now ?
    i know DOS bt nothing about terminal
    also software centre has issues lately
    the info of alredy installed proggrams is available, bt when i try 2 install sumthing new, i click more info & it says source is 'universe' & some other things, dosent evn show screenshot or size
    Last edited by smoothcriminal17; August 15th, 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: installing gimp

also a few months after installing ubuntu, applets started to go missing, i looked in administrative tools & panel's preferences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you say "when I try to install something new", do you mean when you try to install something from the repositories, or only when you try to install from a .tar file?

Could you be a little more specific about the message Software Center is giving you?

Have you considered installing Gimp 2.8 from a repository, rather than from a .tar file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by smoothcriminal17 View Post
    also a few months after installing ubuntu, applets started to go missing, i looked in administrative tools & panel's preferences
    Again, can you be more specific? What applets started to go missing?

Beans
    Distro

when i tried 2 install from the sofware cente, i clicked on more info, it only showed "available from the "main" source" & no other details
    i treid wid some other softwares, same thing happens, only source may b different
    i had upgraded mozilla by downloading the tar & extracting its contents where the older version was installed & it worked
    bt jst by extracting, gimp wont run

what is a repository ?

Beans
    Distro

the gnome eyes, the applet showing network strength, the power button, hide all windows button
    also mobile network selection from the panel
    Last edited by smoothcriminal17; August 15th, 2012 at 11:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

when i tried 2 install from the sofware cente, i clicked on more info, it only showed "available from the "main" source" & no other details
    i treid wid some other softwares, same thing happens, only source may b different
    i had upgraded mozilla by downloading the tar & extracting its contents where the older version was installed & it worked
    bt jst by extracting, gimp wont run

what is a repository ?
    Ah...okay, crash course time. First, Ubuntu (like most Linux distros) uses a package manager, which is basically a software package designed to handle the installation, update, and removal of all other software packages. The Software Center is a graphical interface for the package manager.

Now, the preferred way to install software is to use repositories (sometimes called repos or ppas), which are basically online software sources that the package manager interfaces with directly. By default, Ubuntu comes with a few repositories set up, and more can be added to the list. Adding repositories can expand the list of available packages, or make the ones already there more up-to-date.

Gimp is in the "Main" repository, but the version contained there isn't the newest version. There are other repos which contain newer versions. For example, adding the webupd8 ppa should bring you up to 2.8, as well as add many plugins. Issue the following commands in the terminal:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry
    (If you don't want to install the extra plugins, you may omit the last line.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

the gnome eyes, the applet showing network strength, the power button, hide all windows button
    also mobile network selection from the panel
    It's been a couple years since I've used an environment with the gnome-panels, but if I remember right, you can add the applets you've mentioned by right-clicking where you want them and clicking "Add to panel...", or something like that.

By the way, are you really still using Ubuntu 10.10? Have you considered upgrading?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i'v dowloaded gimp-2.8.0.tar.bz2, moved it to a folder made by me
    how do i install it now ?
    i know DOS bt nothing about terminal
    also software centre has issues lately
    the info of alredy installed proggrams is available, bt when i try 2 install sumthing new, i click more info & it says source is 'universe' & some other things, dosent evn show screenshot or size
    I assume you know that 10.10 reached end of life this April.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...le_of_versions

Beans

I do some fairly heavy graphic design work for my silk screening operation and have uses gimp but honestly i think your better off running photoshop in wine. Just my opinion though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast