Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assistance with DNS and Webmin

Beans

Question Assistance with DNS and Webmin

Good Day,

I have searched, followed countless tutorials but right now I do not know if I am doing the right thing. I have a VPS with the ip 78.xxx.xxx.xxx. The host name for the server is : server.mydomain.com . I have purchased mydomain.com from godaddy already. I can access the web server using the IP address alone so I know it is accessible from the net. My problem is that when I check with websites such as pingability, I get the following errors.
    Zone Info: mydomain.com

Zone Info

Info Type Message Warningmydomain.com does not have an IP Address (A) record. Information8 seconds to complete zone checks.
    Parent Name Servers

This section lists the hierarchy of name servers that a DNS lookup needs to walk to find your zone's name servers. For brevity only one name server is listed per zone.
    Zone Name Server IP Location Response Time (ms) comi.gtld-servers.net192.43.172.30United States0 .l.root-servers.net199.7.83.42United States0

mydomain.com Name Servers

Zone Configuration Info

Info Type Message ErrorNone of this zone's name servers responded on the request for 'mydomain.com' records. Giving up. Heads-upNone of the name servers had an SOA record, randomly selecting ns2.mydomain.com as the master name server.
    Below is the zone file created by placing all the instructed information from following tutorials in Webmin in order to create a zone. I had originally tried manually but got nowhere, so I assumed using Webmin would be easier but I am getting the same results.

Code:
    $ttl 38400
    mydomain.com.    IN    SOA    ns1.mydomain.com. hostmaster.gmail.com. (
                38400 )
    mydomain.com.    IN    A    75.xxx.xxx.xxx
    www.mydomain.com.    IN    A    75.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ns1.mydomain.com.    IN    A    75.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ns2.mydomain.com.    IN    A    69.xxx.xxx.5
    mydomain.com.    IN    NS    ns1.mydomain.com.
    mydomain.com.    IN    NS    ns2.mydomain.com.
    I just want to know what it is that I am doing wrong exactly. I have waited almost 48 hours just in case it was still being propagated. The IP address 69.xxx.xxx.5 was listed in my resolv.conf file.

Beans

Re: Assistance with DNS and Webmin

If you post the real domain name, I could test it for you. Now I have to stay abstract:

Two things to test:

Test which nameservers your domain has (set by your domain registrar):

Code:
    host -t ns yourdomain.com
    Test what your own nameserver says:

Code:
    host www.yourdomain.com yourownnameserver.yourdomain.com
    Both should be correct, and the domain registrar should be pointing to yourownnameserver.

PS:

It really is easier to let your registrar do the DNS hosting

HTH

Beans

Yeah I know it would be a lot easier, but this is something that I would like to get working. Just to avoid costs of them hosting it in the future when I run more than one site. The name of the domain is pharaohinc.com

Code:
    host -t ns pharaohinc.com

Gave me:

pharaohinc.com name server ns1.pharaohinc.com.
    pharaohinc.com name server ns2.pharaohinc.com.

host www.pharaohinc.com ns1.pharaohinc.com

Using domain server:
    NameL ns1.pharaohinc.com
    Address: 75.xxx.xxx.xxx#53
    Aliases:

www.pharaohinc.com has address 75.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Those were the results given, which is indeed the name server

Beans

From out here on the Internet, all attempts to query your nameserver fail with "host not found." It's likely that your nameserver doesn't have UDP port 53 exposed to the Internet. If you restart your nameserver, do you see entries in /var/log/syslog that report the server has bound to all the IP addresses, including most importantly the public-facing ones? You should see entries like this:

Code:
    Aug 15 01:00:06 smtp named[14803]: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.0.1#53
    Aug 15 01:00:06 smtp named[14803]: listening on IPv4 interface eth0, 75.xxx.xxx.xxx#53
    Do you have a firewall in place? Is it blocking port 53?

Don't test from the machine itself. You need to test from a machine outside your network.

I agree with sanderj that you should let the domain registrar host your DNS. Running a nameserver can be a complicated task. On top of everything else, you should be running two nameservers for redundancy to conform to Internet standards (see section 2.8). One nameserver is not enough.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 15th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Beans

Thanks will double check to see if it is indeed broadcasting, if not I will just follow your suggestion and let GoDaddy deal with it. Thanks for the assistance

Beans

Welll I looed throught the system logs and this is what I found....
    Code:
    Aug 15 16:00:42 server named[11435]: error (network unreachable) resolving '148.87.75.65.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 2001:500:13::73#53
    Aug 15 16:00:42 server named[11435]: error (network unreachable)  resolving '148.87.75.65.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 2001:67c:e0::1#53
    Aug 15 16:00:43 server named[11435]: error (network unreachable)  resolving './NS/IN': 2001:500:1::803f:235#53
    Aug 15 16:00:43 server named[11435]: error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED) resolving '148.87.75.65.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 208.246.140.130#53
    Aug 15 16:00:43 server named[11435]: error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED)  resolving '148.87.75.65.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 208.246.140.129#53
    Aug 15 16:00:43 server named[11435]: error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED)  resolving '148.87.75.65.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN': 208.246.140.130#53
    Then it says further down

Code:
    Aug 16 00:04:09 server named[323]: managed-keys-zone ./IN: loading from master file managed-keys.bind failed: file not found

Beans

I tested, and test #1 fails:

Code:
    sander@R540:~$ host -t ns pharaohinc.com
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

sander@R540:~$ time host -t ns pharaohinc.com

real	0m10.011s
    user	0m0.004s
    sys	0m0.004s
    sander@R540:~$
    I would say that's a misconfiguration at your registrar.

EDIT:

Registrar seems to be GoDaddy. Have you changed anything in their webinterface?

whois points to

Code:
       Domain servers in listed order:
          NS1.PHARAOHINC.COM
          NS2.PHARAOHINC.COM
    but they do not exist:

Code:
    sander@R540:~$ host NS1.PHARAOHINC.COM
    sander@R540:~$ host NS2.PHARAOHINC.COM
    sander@R540:~$
    So ... that's not good. I would expect that at the moment you register your domain, the NS1 and NS2 should be pointing to GoDaddy's system. Have you changed that?
    Last edited by sanderj; August 15th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

I changed my name servers with GoDaddy, I followed the directions for registering my nameservers with them. That was how I was able to put ns1.pharaohinc.com...that is attached to the IP address 75.xxx.xxx.xxx and ns2.pharaohinc.com. That should be attached to 69.xxx.xxx.xxx. But that is the only thing I have done so far with GoDaddy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AnubisXVIII View Post
    I changed my name servers with GoDaddy, I followed the directions for registering my nameservers with them. That was how I was able to put ns1.pharaohinc.com...that is attached to the IP address 75.xxx.xxx.xxx and ns2.pharaohinc.com. That should be attached to 69.xxx.xxx.xxx. But that is the only thing I have done so far with GoDaddy
    What if you fill out the IP address of your nameserver at GoDaddy?

BTW: you are not mentionning the IP address of your nameserver in this thread, are you? If you would, I could test it.

Beans

IP Address for ns1.pharoahinc.com = 75.98.171.215
    ns2.pharoahinc.com = 69.39.86.5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast