Thread: Installing 12.04 into VirtualBox 4.18 installation never finishes

Beans

Installing 12.04 into VirtualBox 4.18 installation never finishes

Hello, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS into VirtualBox 4.18 running on a Debian machine. I've got so far as a screen with the timezone selection, but 3 hours passed since then, and all I see is a spinning cursor and no progress in copying files. No error messages (at least not through the GUI) have been given. The GUI is overall responsive (I can move the window having the installation, move the mouse pointer etc.) but the installation seems to make no progress. It shouldn't take this long, should it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installing 12.04 into VirtualBox 4.18 installation never finishes

Quote Originally Posted by wvxvw View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS into VirtualBox 4.18 running on a Debian machine. I've got so far as a screen with the timezone selection, but 3 hours passed since then, and all I see is a spinning cursor and no progress in copying files. No error messages (at least not through the GUI) have been given. The GUI is overall responsive (I can move the window having the installation, move the mouse pointer etc.) but the installation seems to make no progress. It shouldn't take this long, should it?
    Maybe the hard disk has a problem. The installation option is next...

Beans

Sorry, I didn't make myself entirely clear, it's not the screen, where you choose the language of the installer, it's the screen with the world map, where you choose your location (that's a bit further into installation).

However, it appeared that VirtualBox blocked mount command or did something to that effect, which probably put the installer in some sort of an infinite loop. However, all subsequent attempts at installing Ubuntu into a freshly created VM have led to the computer crash. I.e. when the screen with the map loads, the computer goes to reboot w/o any messages... This looks like some sort of a hardware failure, but I've no idea what fails. Any hints?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would assume it's bad virtual machine settings, not hw.
    Can you change the disk controller type or enable/disable apic/acpi?
    Dedoimedo
    Linux Systems Expert / Systems Programmer, LPIC-1, LPIC-2(WIP), GSEC, CCHD, CCHA
    http://www.dedoimedo.com - A place to learn a lot about a lot!

Pangolin Review | Ringtail Review | Linux Games | My books