Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have three different terminal versions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I have three different terminal versions

Quote Originally Posted by houseworkshy View Post
    I'd be inclined to try a "whoami" in each of the terminals. Seeing differant things could mean differant permissions. You could also try some admin task in each of them without prefacing with "sudo". Any old none critical admin task, looking at the system monitor for example. I'd want to be sure that none of them had higher privalages than they should.
    OK tried each one and each came back with my correct user name,i.e., issuing the whoami command.

Clearly, some do show or have different permissions. The standard terminal (terminal 1 in my original post) did not even show the locked "tmp" file, I could not even issue the chown command with or without sudo. What became important in my original problem was actually the ability to go into that folder and make a change in a script file, lua.sh, to correct and then save the file. Once I was able to use chown recursively, I could then edit that file using gedit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ads52 View Post
    For many users these days the only terminal emulator of any interest will be the default and even then it will be treated with some trepidation. Other terminal emulators are failed projects that have fallen by the wayside while others have been created by developers hoping to improve on old models. For terminal users the rich offering is a great thing .

If you were interested in exploring you could do worse than explore some of the current frontrunners such as Terminator, Sakura, Guake / Yakuake and RoxTerm. Otherwise simply stick to the default if it meets your needs....
    It depends - they're not all the same. xterm is the most actively-developed terminal emulator, followed by rxvt-unicode. VTE-based terminals (notably the ones mentioned above) are fairly stagnant (noting that last year's changes were limited to compiler-warnings and tweaking the message files). A few are inactive, most are "supported".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by itcotbtoemik View Post
    It depends - they're not all the same. xterm is the most actively-developed terminal emulator, followed by rxvt-unicode. VTE-based terminals (notably the ones mentioned above) are fairly stagnant (noting that last year's changes were limited to compiler-warnings and tweaking the message files). A few are inactive, most are "supported".
    Others are emulators, the original terminal is the best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyhw View Post
    Others are emulators, the original terminal is the best.
    It all depends on what you mean by the "original terminal". In my case, that seems to be my Terminal 1, in my original post. However, it did not show the locked folder "tmp". I actually needed to be able to "unlock" "tmp" so that I could edit a script file that had a misspelling in it--this by the helpful people at Lexmark. By using one of the other terminals, I was able to chown the folder and then use the regular terminal actually see it and go into it and change the script file. This allowed me to install the Lexmark drivers for my printer.

While I was inclined to remove those "extra" terminals, I now know that I must keep them about. From my experience, limited for sure, I would say that that the "original terminal" has only limited capabilities for rather simple commands. From this I would say it not the "best"--though for many it may be useful. Clearly, for a newbie, who has little or no experience with the CLI, it might keep him/her out of trouble. But if you really have to get down and dirty, one of the other terminals may be needed.

Beans

One can also suspend the GUI and go to a terminal with +ctrl +alt +any function key from 2 to 6 inclusive, one resumes the gui with +ctrl +alt +F7. Things that can be run from the command line seem to go a bit quicker this way, virus scanning, etc.
    I'm finding that I lean more and more on the terminal as the GUI's change so much.
    As to simple tasks only, well hardly. To illustrate there is a command called "apropos" which searches through the command line manual for whatever word follows it. One can use it to find commands which may help with some particular task, very helpful for when you know what you want to do but don't know what the command is. So for example if one knows that what one wants to do has something to do with networking the word will likely be in any manual page for whatever the command is so "apropos networking" would pull likely candidates. One can then look at the manual pages for those candidates eg "man netstat". Browsing around with those two commands gives and idea of what can be done. The command line can do more than the gui, graphical applications excepted.

I get the impression that you know all the above anyway, I'm only pipeing up for the command line in case people who don't ( apt-get is on the outer limits of geekishness types ) get the wrong idea. Not so hard for newbies really, can get the basics in a couple of hours and, if that includes how to access to the inbuilt help, can feel around for the rest.
    Unlike the fast changes in GUI's, especially irritating being the discarded features and functionalities, where any learning quickly becomes redundant the command line changes only very slowly. For any who don't like starting from scratch every few years the command line is the thing to learn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12