Thread: How Can Ubuntu headless use DVD drive another computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

How Can Ubuntu headless use DVD drive another computer?

Hi all,
    I am using Ubuntu 11.10 desktop, and want to make it fully headless and put it in closet of another room (ethernet is run there). My question is how can I make the Ubuntu computer use the DVD burner of another Mac computer on the lan? I have set the iMac DVD drive (OS X 10.5.8 leopard) to "share" on the lan. But, I can't see it in Ubuntu? I can remote desktop the Ubuntu computer with vnc on the iMac's screen. But, if I need to burn something from the Ubuntu computer, I need to burn it to the iMac's DVD burner. This will be especially useful for burning backup images of the Ubuntu system drive. (I use Image For Linux, which works awesome for Disaster Recovery).
    I've found several articles online to do the opposite, to share the Ubuntu DVD drive to macs and windows machines on the lan, but nothing to do what I need to do. I do have netatalk and avahi setup on the Ubuntu computer and it is working fine, it shows up in the iMac.
    Ubuntu 11.10
    Learning Linux and Loving it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How Can Ubuntu headless use DVD drive another computer?

If the dvd drive would be on a computer running you could use this nice tutorial:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1828145

But I have no idea if it works for a Mac.