Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: lubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by linuxusersince2008 View Post
    i'm not a programmer but if i was i would modify ubuntu 8.04 with a updated kernel and update the software sources. the rest can stay the same.
    You don't have to be a programmer to roll your own, all it takes is a bit of learning. When I first started using Linux (1998), I had to learn how to compile a kernel, as SMP (dual cpu support) was not included in any default kernel. I had a server that ran dual 223Mhz cpu's and supported up to 1GiB ram. In order to get the full benefit of the system I spent days compiling kernels and trying them out, using a single cpu it took about 3.5 hours to compile a kernel, using both cpu's compile times went down to just over an hour.

Anything is possible, it's just a matter of how much time you want to spend learning how to do what you want.

do you have a how to video?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linuxusersince2008 View Post
    do you have a how to video?
    I linked to the wiki in a previous post, I think the subject is a bit more complicated, than what can be covered in a howto video.

i see.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: lubuntu 12.10

With Unity 2D gone, I'm not sure where to start - take the quantal .iso, install LXDE, then remove Unity 3D? Does that work?

Or start with Lubuntu and add packages in as I need them?

Thanks, Jerry

p.s. Lubuntu up and running, now comparing to Ubuntu 3D. Replaced Chromium with (smaller) Firefox. On this Acer Aspire 5253 On this 64 GB dual processor 2 GB memory I'm having to learn that when I boot 3D, be patient...... it's not dead, it'll be along some time....
    Last edited by jerrylamos; August 17th, 2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Continuation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    With Unity 2D gone, I'm not sure where to start - take the quantal .iso, install LXDE, then remove Unity 3D? Does that work?

Or start with Lubuntu and add packages in as I need them?

Thanks, Jerry
    You'd probably be best starting with the mini.iso, and only add what you want.

Beans
    Distro

Long live lubuntu. Being lazy, I just install Quantal then do a
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    running fine. Since lxde is a debian desktop not dependent on canonical, so long as ubuntu can still install debian packages, I'm set.

I did try a synaptic install of lxde-desktop which brought in a whole bunch of stuff I don't use. So I don't do that.

I've got lxde with Firefox, Libre, samba, network drives, gedit, on and on all that stuff I usually use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Long live lubuntu. Being lazy, I just install Quantal then do a
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    running fine. Since lxde is a debian desktop not dependent on canonical, so long as ubuntu can still install debian packages, I'm set.

I did try a synaptic install of lxde-desktop which brought in a whole bunch of stuff I don't use. So I don't do that.

I've got lxde with Firefox, Libre, samba, network drives, gedit, on and on all that stuff I usually use.
    If you try installing Debian packages on your Ubuntu install you are going to break it. All the packages in the Ubuntu repositories are modified by the developers, as dependencies are different, and Ubuntu branding is added. Please do some research, before making statements that can be proven wrong.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: lubuntu 12.10

Here's another idea, if I'm not going too far off topic. Try Siduction Linux. It is a leading edge Debian-based distro with LXDE. It is extremely light on resources; I think it is the lightest distro I have, which includes Arch Linux. I've been running it for a few months and it is very high on my list.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you try installing Debian packages on your Ubuntu install you are going to break it. All the packages in the Ubuntu repositories are modified by the developers, as dependencies are different, and Ubuntu branding is added. Please do some research, before making statements that can be proven wrong.
    I did a sudo apt-get install lxde. I assume that will go somewhere in /etc/apt/sources.list. The point I was trying to make, maybe not successfully, that 2D lost support and vanished. Perhaps some other packages that have life outside of canonical will continue to be available to apt-get, perhaps not. I'm not a developer so I may not use the words people expect.

Do note in bug shooting I've installed the Debian kernel from Debian onto Quantal to see if it would help on my wireless WPA autoconnect bug. The Debian kernel ran fine on Quantal, except for the bug which was still present. Debian development looked at the problem, and pointed to ubuntu. Clearly to them as soon as ubuntu asked they went ahead and connected easily first try. The question of why ubuntu isn't asking for connect is still open in the bug. Round about way to say a big piece of Debian would still work with ubuntu. No guarantees of course.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast