Thread: Moving Stuff?

Beans

Moving Stuff?

OK so I'm switching back to Ubuntu 12.04 from Mint 12 and I need to find out how to save my favorites and other data from Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Filezilla. I know it's possible to do this because I've done it on a Windowz system but searches here haven't given me what I need to do this?

Any help?

Thanks,

Akacheebe

Beans

Re: Moving Stuff?

Firefox and FileZilla save their stuff in hidden directories in your home folder. So, check out ~/.mozilla and ~/.filezilla

I'm not sure about Chrome or Opera, but if you don't see something like ~/.opera and ~/.chrome, look in ~/.local/share or ~/.config
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans

I can only speak for Firefox, as my browsing needs are fairly primitive, where you can easily export your bookmarks as a single HTML file:

Bookmarks --> Show all Bookmarks --> Import and Backup --> Export Bookmarks to HTML

Is this sort of information what you are after?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The best way would be to back up every hidden folder in your home directory. The simplest way to do this is open your home folder in a file browser press ctrl+h to view hidden folders and copy every folder beginning with a full stop to a usb stick, then on your new install copy them back asap, you should have all your preferences for most applications saved then

Edit: look here for help on creating a separate home partition when you install http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome
    It will save you the worry of faffing with copying data and configuration files on a reinstall and makes your data a little safer from corruption all in one fell swoop, there are very few downsides in my opinion
    Last edited by CaptainMark; August 12th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans

Thanks ppl for the replies but it doesn't look like there's an easy way to do this without a bunch of command line stuff, which I know very little about.

Hate to say this but in Windows I just copy the stuff, ie, favorites, cookies, and sometimes the folder from the Program Files menu, etc on to a flash drive then copy and paste it into the new load. Can't do that with Linux, or at least I haven't found a simple way to do it.

Guess I'll just stumble along and do everything over again.

Thanks again.

Akacheebe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hey, yes you can
    in your home folder hit Cntrl+H then copy paste everything into your flash drive and after reinstalation open your flash drive and again hit Cntrl+H and copy paste everything to your new home and you're done but i strongly suggest this time to follow
    Edit: look here for help on creating a separate home partition when you install http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installseparatehome
    It will save you the worry of faffing with copying data and configuration files on a reinstall and makes your data a little safer from corruption all in one fell swoop, there are very few downsides in my opinion
    as CaptainMark suggested.
    cheers

Edit: you may also check /opt and see if there is sth there by using
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Last edited by unevenflow; August 16th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Akacheebe View Post
    . Hate to say this but in Windows I just copy the stuff, ie, favorites, cookies, and sometimes the folder from the Program Files menu, etc on to a flash drive then copy and paste it into the new load. Can't do that with Linux, or at least I haven't found a simple way to do it.
    Won't take long to get used to the Linux way. Don't forget that the file structure and permissions are what makes Linux so secure, Windows is very 'open' and suffers because of this.

Beans

I vote copy/paste the home folder.

It cures most of my needs... :O