Thread: Matlab in 12.04

Beans

Question Matlab in 12.04

I have recently upgraded to 12.04. Previously, I was running Matlab R2011a in 10.10 without any problems, other than a printing bug that I managed to circumvent using the advice posted here. I have installed Matlab R2011a again. It runs, but there are two problems. The first is that menus don't open properly in the main terminal window (but they work fine in the editor window); if I click on a menu, it flashes up and disappears again. The second is once again the same printing problem. However, I can't use the old workaround because there doesn't seem to be any user control over the printer settings anymore.

Has anyone here had any success with Matlab in 12.04 regarding these two issues? Not necessarily with R2011a, since I can probably get access to a newer version if necessary.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have tried Octave before, but Matlab has some features that Octave doesn't have that I need, plus Matlab is provided by my workplace anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Matlab in 12.04

I have 2011b and I'm running it with Linux Mint 13 under Cinnamon. I never use Matlab GUI so I never experienced any of these problems before now. If by terminal you mean the main GUI, then I have the same problem with menus but only when I use the mouse.

If you use ALT + [letter] the menus stay down and navigating with the arrow keys gets the job done.
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans

Okay, I found the workaround again. To get more access to printer settings, I had to run system-config-printer from terminal. For some reason it was inaccessible through the dashboard thing.

Beans

I have the same problem in using the GUI with Ubuntu 12.04 and Cinnamon. Nevertheless no problem with Unity.

I guess it is a specific problem of Cinnamon (or gnome shell), maybe due to java?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    I have recently upgraded to 12.04. Previously, I was running Matlab R2011a in 10.10 without any problems, other than a printing bug that I managed to circumvent using the advice posted here. I have installed Matlab R2011a again. It runs, but there are two problems. The first is that menus don't open properly in the main terminal window (but they work fine in the editor window); if I click on a menu, it flashes up and disappears again. The second is once again the same printing problem. However, I can't use the old workaround because there doesn't seem to be any user control over the printer settings anymore.

Has anyone here had any success with Matlab in 12.04 regarding these two issues? Not necessarily with R2011a, since I can probably get access to a newer version if necessary.

And before anyone asks, yes, I have tried Octave before, but Matlab has some features that Octave doesn't have that I need, plus Matlab is provided by my workplace anyway.
    I have the menu disappearing problem, too.
    The menu disappearing is "fixed" if I do not maximize the MATLAB windows.
    It's not really a fix, but it keeps me sane.
    There are two sides to every story: my side and the wrong side.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

By the way, I upgraded to MATE 1.4, and this problem went away.
    There are two sides to every story: my side and the wrong side.

Beans

Same problem in linux mint 13