Thread: Unable to run linux app's on USB drives

Beans

Exclamation Unable to run linux app's on USB drives

For the longest time now I've been staying away from Ubuntu because I've been unable to find a away to run applications from my portable media (Flash Drives, Portable HDs, etc). I seriously want to get back to using Ubuntu, but this problem has been driving me away from Ubuntu.

My problem is, I want to run Linux applications from portable media but the rules since 10.10 prevent all executable from being executed on portable media formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. Nothing I've tried can get around this.

Is there anyway to get Linux applications running off portable FAT32/NTFS media without having to manually mount media with the executable bit? I don't care about the security risks of letting applications run since Linux is much harder to wreck then Windows. Perhaps someone knows how to enable executing files system wide across all media?

I hope someone can help me with this, I really want to get back on Ubuntu and kiss windows good bye.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Unable to run linux app's on USB drives

if that's what prevents you from using Ubuntu : are you running windows on a flash drive ? And why would you format a disk to NTFS/FAT to install Ubuntu on it?

Beans

No no, I have Ubuntu installed on the computers internal disks and IM trying to run LINUX APPLICATIONS (not Windows .exe's) from my flash drives or portable hard disk (Which are formated in FAT32 or NTFS to work with the other computers around me, my PS3, and my HP All-in-one Color laser)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why not just buy an inexpensive 8 or 16Gb dongle and format it to EXT* for your purposes?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Why not just buy an inexpensive 8 or 16Gb dongle and format it to EXT* for your purposes?
    I don't have that kind of money, and why should I have to format my only flash drive to Ext when Ubuntu use to allow executing files on portable media formatted in FAT32 or NTFS.

Is there anyway to permanently allow ubuntu to execute files on portable media? I don't care about the risk's involved since I usually only run linux stuff that I know (like Open Transport Tycoon)
    Last edited by NekoMaster; August 14th, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Don't know how much they are where you are but in Australia a 4Gb drive is next to nothing. On ebay you can pick one up for about AU$5. Good luck with it all ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Don't know how much they are where you are but in Australia a 4Gb drive is next to nothing. On ebay you can pick one up for about AU$5. Good luck with it all ...
    I dont have 10-20 dollars for a new 8GB. Plus the closest store's are half way across the city over the hill's.

Also I dont have a credit card for internet shopping

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Have you tried a udev rule?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just a thought: Do you use Windows or use the USB on Windows machines? If not, no reason to have NTFS or FAT anyhow.