Thread: Unity 3D loads fine, Unity 2D missing dash and desktop bar?

Beans

Unity 3D loads fine, Unity 2D missing dash and desktop bar?

I've searched high and low and tried the solutions for "missing desktop/dash" for unity 3d. I've reinstalled compiz, unity, unity-2d, ubuntu-desktop. Removed config folders and nothing makes ubuntu-2d to work once i log in.

As soon as i do log in, im presented with the 2-second grey screen delay and then i see my wallpaper and icons but no dash, desktop bar.

I've gone into the session folder to change windows manager from metacity to compiz and that works fine. However, i rather have it be a 2d window manager and use metacity.
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unity 3D loads fine, Unity 2D missing dash and desktop bar?

I started having this problem with both 2D and 3D and did not get a solution that worked. I have 12.04 on two partitions and tonight the second one lost its dash and panel.

The only thing that I have done recently is updates and ubuntu tweak janitor.

Beans

Re: Unity 3D loads fine, Unity 2D missing dash and desktop bar?

yup, still having this problem but only with Ubuntu 2D. Formatting isnt an option :-/

is there a way to truly go back to complete defaults? However, I doubt its a compiz issue. I wonder if i've corrupted metacity somehow...