Thread: No (reliable) audio/sound on Dell XPS 8300

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No (reliable) audio/sound on Dell XPS 8300

Hi all

I used to have Mint 12 KDE on a Dell XPS 8300 but now upgraded to Kubuntu 12.04. However, audio/sound is extremely volatile. Here's some info:

1) Phonon (in the Device Preference tab) shows 3 sound devices:
    - X-Fi Titanium series [EMU20k2] Analog Stereo
    - Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
    - GF 110 High definition Audio Controller Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI)

2) I have Pulse Audio and Alsa Mixer installed.

3) Sometimes (after rebotting) I have no sound, or I have sound but only for audio applications such as Amarok, and sometimes I have sound but only for video (for applications such as VLC, but not for SMPlayer). Right now, for instance, the first of the abocve sound cards is the chosen Playback Device in the mixer in the panel and Amarok is running fine, but VLC doesn't play sound for .mp4 or .avi.

Any advice what to do?

Beans
    Distro

Re: No (reliable) audio/sound on Dell XPS 8300

Update: I now seem to have reliable audio in Amarok and videos in VLC (when the master channel is set to "X-Fi Titanium series [EMU20k2] Analog Stereo", but I don't get sound in Firefox, no videos, nothing. When I go to Phonon and I test the Audio Playback device, I get the test sound, but when I test the same device in the Video Playback section, no sound at all. Any ideas plz?

Beans
    Distro

Re: No (reliable) audio/sound on Dell XPS 8300

Since this is a machine with a RAID system (so I need an alternate installer CD or something like that), the only thing that has now worked is installing Mint 12 ...
    Last edited by Ctulhu; October 4th, 2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: missing reason for RAID comment