No (reliable) audio/sound on Dell XPS 8300
I used to have Mint 12 KDE on a Dell XPS 8300 but now upgraded to Kubuntu 12.04. However, audio/sound is extremely volatile. Here's some info:
1) Phonon (in the Device Preference tab) shows 3 sound devices:
- X-Fi Titanium series [EMU20k2] Analog Stereo
- Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
- GF 110 High definition Audio Controller Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI)
2) I have Pulse Audio and Alsa Mixer installed.
3) Sometimes (after rebotting) I have no sound, or I have sound but only for audio applications such as Amarok, and sometimes I have sound but only for video (for applications such as VLC, but not for SMPlayer). Right now, for instance, the first of the abocve sound cards is the chosen Playback Device in the mixer in the panel and Amarok is running fine, but VLC doesn't play sound for .mp4 or .avi.
Any advice what to do?
Re: No (reliable) audio/sound on Dell XPS 8300
Tags for this Thread